By. Catch Gemma Atkinson weekdays from 4pm, with Mike Toolan. DJ NISH ( BBC RADIO PRESENTER ) Live Dhol players. The book will tell the story of the presenters, journalists, producers, engineers and - most importantly - listeners, for which Piccadilly Radio became the soundtrack to their lives. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag has made an immediate impact with his coaching at Old Trafford. Tony is now self-employed as a voice-over, narrator and media trainer. Speaking of the cashiers, for our final word let us warn you: if you want your treats, make sure to bring cash. Subscribe to our newsletter now. Five minutes into this Soundcloud clip you will hear the Sue Manning . Ever since Hos Bakery closed in 2021, its also the last shop of its kind left in the neighbourhood. Mr Sayer, dubbed the voice of reason, radio and railways'', announced the warning phrases for multiple London Underground lines and PA announcements at railway stations across the country. By 10pm that night the radio presenter and professional wind-up merchant was the lead story on every news channel. Pete Reeves does drivetime on Trafford Sound a community station. The official I Love MCR Shop not only spreads the Manchester love across the world, but it also helps keeps the lights on so we can support business and charity across the city. I lost touch with Carol after she got married so I didnt hear the tragic story of Ged until long after the event. Last year UOSH volunteer Stuart Monk recorded an interview with Tony about his time at Piccadilly Radio. The rapport the two had struck up allowed Tony to ask questions about difficult topics, like drugs, he otherwise might not have felt able to raise. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Jordan kickstarts your weekends on Friday Night Hits. [4], On 18 April 2018, station owners Bauer Media announced Key 103 would be rebranded and relaunched as Hits Radio Manchester, a CHR-led music station aimed at 25-44 year olds on Monday 4 June 2018. VAT no 918 5617 01H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA (Ref No. Short clips from broadcasts by Piccadilly Radio and KCBQ Montreal featuring Roy Harper, Frank Zappa, Jerry Garcia, Tim Hudson, John Lennon and Tony Hawkins are re-used here under the fair dealing exclusion for news and review. Roger, now 69, recalls the nervous tension of that day, but says: I was very excited to have the honour of opening Manchesters new radio station. ", Marks and Spencer shoppers SO horrified by 2 snack in stores they think 'it's April Fool's Day', "Nope. I'd recommend anyone looking for work as a presenter, or, to produce a radio commercial, to put their complete trust in him." LinkedIn User That first broadcast at 5am on April 2, 1974, was undertaken by Roger Day, with his first words to the Manchester audience: It gives me great pleasure for the very first time to say a good Tuesday morning to you Hit music for the North Westwe are Piccadilly Radio before spinning Good Vibrations. Anstis, 52, took to social media on Tuesday morning to share his plight initially to advise fans that he was stuck on the Piccadilly Line . By 10pm that night the radio presenter and professional wind-up merchant was the lead story on . At the same time, it nurtured hugely popular local personalities including Susie Mathis, Phil Wood, Dave Ward, Mike Shaft, Pete Baker,James Stannage, Tim Grundy, Becky Want and Mike Sweeney. So whats on the newly-deposited tapes? It's potentially unsafe for little or medium-sized dogs with thin coats to be outside. Featured Image Phil Mosley (via Unsplash). Australian Open 2023 results: Emma Raducanu loses to Coco Gauff, Cameron Norrie wins, Ian Kirwan: Boy guilty of Redditch Asda stabbing murder, European Super League: Ex-Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli reiterates support for ESL, Microsoft to cut 10,000 jobs as spending slows, Office cake likened to passive smoking by food watchdog head, Blackpool sack Appleton after one win in 11 games, Raducanu beaten by Gauff in entertaining encounter. If you are a copyright holder and you would like to speak to us please get in touch. The duo were a much-loved double act on Piccadilly 1152 during the 90s hosting the weekend breakfast show together for over four years. Fri Jan 20 2023 at 10:00 pm E1 x Exit Records: 20th Anniversary [A/W 23] E1 Unit 2, 110 Pennington St, London E1W 2BB. We recently digitised these basement tapes as part of the Unlocking Our Sound Heritage project. Everything here is made, fresh with the bakehouse clearly visible from the shop. Is falling number of female WSL managers a concern? During networked hours, local adverts are aired, as well as a local news summary on the hour. [8] The following January, the Key branding was retired when the station rebranded as Greatest Hits Radio Manchester. Which prankster radio DJ is this? If you have a story from the Piccadilly Radio days, just email piccadillyat50@gmail.com. Pictured below are Gary Davies, Tony Emmerson, Timmy Mallett and a young looking Steve Penk. Tony reflects on how the tapes have brought back access to lost memories for him, even if listening back to them was a sometimes frustrating experience! My deepest, heartfelt condolences on the passing of a much loved colleague. The Timmy Mallett picture was featured on the BBC2 Documentary "Fame, Set . Two of the radio stations most famous personalities have collected a book of their memoirs but want your help too. Mobilisation of key figures in the film and TV industries to invest in a fundraising project to enable renovations of BAFTA's screening room in Piccadilly, London. TV presenter KAY BURLEY on the unlikely obsession that made her realise the AMAZING power of songs to bring a loved one back to life. Andy, 65, says: Im in my 42nd year of broadcasting, but being part of what came to be at Piccadilly was really one of the biggest thrills of my career. Last modified on Sun 15 Jan 2023 19.06 EST. Tony explains that the surviving tape of Frank Zappa was actually his second interview with him for Piccadilly Radio. Tony was a stalwart, a safe pair of broadcasting hands. In fact the interview went fine even if Harper did end up writing off England as a bingoland where not enough people are intelligent enough to appreciate his music! Manchester, United Kingdom Commercial Production, Presenter Presenter . There were all the local dignitaries but I avoided them as I didnt want to be distracted. He was on at lunchtime and I asked on air what he thought of the station so far. The late-night phone-in withJames Stannagebecame the most listened-to talk show outside London, whilst the Dave Ward and Umberto breakfast show helped the station to become one of the biggest broadcasting on AM. Piccadilly Radio Presenters Volume Two by North west archive radio published on 2018-08-01T22:47:21Z Here we go with Volume Two,this time from my archives we feature the years 1982/83 and 1984.I hope this brings back even more memories. ricki@ricki.co.uk. In May 2016, two additional digital transmitters were launched at Littleborough and Saddleworth. Cherry Waller is our new presenter who presents the 60's rewind show . There are some unusual (to a Western palate, at least) flavours on offer here, as well as some cute looking buns including an adorable one shaped like a tortoise, complete with two eyes and a cartoonish smile on its tiny head. Site by Conman. All registered in England and Wales. News of his death surfaced on social media on Wednesday (23 December), with tributes pouring in to mourn the popular radio host. Despite heavy marketing, and many ex-Piccadilly presenters on the new station, Piccadilly 1152 remained Manchester's most popular station, other than sister station Key 103, until the late 1990s when new smaller FM stations inOldham,WarringtonandBurybegan to erode away Piccadilly's audience base. The airport explained in an initial statement that the IT outage was affecting some of our processes. A year later, the Government and the IBA began encouraging all ILR stations with multiple frequencies to provide split programming in order to increase listener choice and competition. Radio presenter was among those caught up in severe delays hitting Piccadilly, Jubilee and Metropolitan lines. John has worked in travel for over 35 years, both overseas, and for the past 10 years as a presenter on television cruise programmes. May they all RIP. !, B&Q shoppers praise 7.50 dehumidifier that eradicates mould and condensation in 48-hours as temperatures plummet, "Condensation gone, black mould gone. The station is based in theCastlefieldarea of Manchester, in Castle Quay. Former BBC Radio Manchester and Piccadilly Radio presenter Susie Mathis is joining community station Wythenshawe FM. Hi Mark, this is a real blast from the past but hopefully you will remember me I was Carol Sundquists best friend and you, Carol, Ged and I would hang out together in Chorlton during the school hols. Cheers. The majority of programming is networked fromNewcastlehowever some is also produced inManchesterand nowLondon. Final update for passengers travelling from Manchester Airport. Discover more about the people behind the mic on Hits Radio. Read more: All the January Manchester restaurant deals, discounts and offers you need in 2023. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. From egg custard tarts made with the lightest, crumbly Chinese puff pastry, to fluffy buns flavoured with ham and cheese, sesame, red bean, pandan and more, if youve not been to a Chinese bakery before then trust us, its well worth a trip for the colourful cream cakes alone. By Tim Stokes. Tony Hawkins worked for Piccadilly Radio as a producer and presenter in its heyday of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Inside it is clean and modern, with red lanterns hung up high in anticipation of the upcoming Lunar New Year celebrations. We are very grateful to Tony and others like him who have together ensured that we now have over 1,500 Piccadilly Radio tapes of everything from sports reporting to science fiction. . Umberto, James Stannage, Dave Ward, Noddy Holder, Tom Tyrrell, Steve Wells For the love of Manchester, dont miss out on events and whats new across the city region. They became part of listeners daily lives. Amazon, Waterstones, WHSmith, Foyles are currently selling the hardback for just 14 - half the recommended retail price. Over in Manchesters Chinatown, theres a little family-run spot that is the place to go when youre craving delicate Chinese buns, pastries and cakes. In January 2003 after a sharp decline in listening, the station ceased networking with the London station,Magic 105.4, and a regional northern network was created with Magic 1152 at the hub at the weekend and the Newcastle station of the same name during the week. Aldi shoppers stock up on nostalgic 1.59 Special Buy that 'takes them straight back to childhood', "Just the smell of this takes me back to my childhood. When we visit, theres quite a queue. The sale begins at 10am on Tuesday 10 January and runs until 4pm on Friday 13 January. Before interviewing the singer-songwriter Roy Harper, Tony was apprehensive because of Harpers reputation. Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag has made an immediate impact with his coaching at Old Trafford. And as for the radio stations longest-serving broadcaster? Catch Mike Toolan weekdays from 4pm, with Gemma Atkinson. Clearly, a better quality of signal on FM was a major factor in Piccadilly 1152's audience decline. Digital copies of all these tapes, and many more, are available to listen to in the Archives+ search room at Manchester Central Library. 2 of 29. Presenter. An additional frustration for Tony is the wish that hed had more time to prepare for the interviews than his hectic working schedule allowed. The Piccadilly branding was gradually dropped during the 1990s. Regional out-of-home media makes advertising on digital billboard screens across Greater Manchester affordable. Shortly before 5pm, Manchester Airport then issued a statement confirming that systems are all back up and running and the airport is now operating as normal following the IT outage. It is Dave Ward, pictured with Susie Mathis, Boss explains the 'coffee cup test' he uses in every job interview to decide who not to hire, The tech company boss said those who fail the test would be blacklisted for any future positions, BBC Match of the Day presenter mortified picture appears on X-rated site, Emma Jones quickly shut down speculation that she was on the adult dating app, Boy, 14, murdered Asda shopper who challenged him for messing around inside supermarket, A 15-year-old boy had been found guilty of murdering the shopper, B&Q praised for 33 heater that costs 6p to run and heats a whole room INSTANTLY as snow is forecast, "Instant heat, best heater I ever bought. As Chris Evans once said, Piccadilly Radio knew exactly who it was and what it was about. ZOO BAR. Lord Tim Hudson introduces his interview with John Lennon (PICC/785). My last show was Christmas 1993. Copyright 2009 2022 I Love MCR All Rights Reserved. Although from the south, I soon settled into Manchester culture. Saving thousands of at-risk audio recordings across the North West of England. Keep me up to date! So please donate what you can because investing in your local community to help it thrive can be a massively rewarding experience. So how were they as a new commercial station able to produce all this material? It broadcasts to Greater Manchester. Jennie keeps you company late into the evening. This change in name also coincided with the 25th birthday of Piccadilly Radio. Stephanie plays the biggest dance floor throwbacks every Saturday night! welcome to breakfast on gb news with eamonn holmes . Pictured below are Gary Davies, Tony Emmerson, Timmy Mallett and a young looking Steve Penk. [9], Hits Radio UK opts out from Manchester's local service for national news bulletins, traffic updates, relevant information and advertising on its national DAB and TV platforms.[10]. He will be sadly missed. Tonys commentary helps us to contextualise the recordings in ways wed never be able to do ourselves. The former BBC presenter was stuck on the Piccadilly Line on the London Underground and ran majorly late for work, as his fans worried he'd miss their favourite part of his Heart Dance Radio show. Afterwards, I broadcast for Virgin Radio and . Presenter. He started his broadcasting career working for Piccadilly Radio, Manchester, as a teenager, before moving to London as a presenter for the BBC's Greater London Radio and then Channel 4 . 2-min read. ENTERTAINMENT DANCE. [2] The first song played upon launch was Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds. Information for passengers travelling from Manchester Airport. DJ NISH ( BBC RADIO PRESENTER ) . In 1994, the station's owners Transworld Radio Group were brought by EMAP. Hits Radio Manchester is an Independent local radio station owned and operated by Bauer as part of the Hits Radio network. 2022 Hearst UK is the trading name of the National Magazine Company Ltd, 30 Panton Street, Leicester Square, London, SW1Y 4AJ. It was the first commercial radio station to broadcast in the city, and went on to launch the careers of a host of star DJs, the likes of Gary Davies, Chris Evans, Andy Peebles, Timmy Mallett, Mike Sweeney, Pete Mitchell, James Stannage, Steve Penk and James H Reeve. As you line up and wait, you can see the bakers through the glass working away in a pristine-looking kitchen that sits in the corner. Roger now recalls: For me it was some of my happiest years. Well worth the money. The first jingle package was produced by Stowe Bowden Wilson and featuring voiceovers from Steve Coogan. The full list of routes with 50p, 1 or 1.50 tickets available in both directions include: Travellers can . Manchesters Joseph Holt Trailblazer Stout comes out on top in blind taste test, Manchester neighbourhoods named as some of the coolest in the UK by Nomads Nation, We love it here! Ukrainian friends set up business after finding new home in West Didsbury, New bookshop and cafe to help combat loneliness opens in Manchester City Centre, Factory Internationals First Breath installation lights up Manchester skyline, 11 exciting projects coming to Manchester to keep your eye on for 2023. Join the mobile Manchester community, About usOur StoryWhat We DoSocial ResponsibilitySustainabilityMeet the TeamContact usExploreNews and StoriesShopSubscribeLicensing Information Terms and ConditionsPrivacy Policy, AdvertiseOut-of-Home MediaAdd a ListingAdvertising Terms and Conditions, See All NewsMost PopularCommunityLifestyleCultureBusinessPropertySponsored, BarsPubsHotelsRestaurantsEntertainmentTheatresCinemasArt & HistoryGyms and FitnessShopping, See All EventsGuided ToursFree Things To DoFamily Friendly Things To DoWedding & Private Event Venues, See All OffersOffers for AnyoneOffers for Hospitality StaffOffers for NHS & Key Workers, UnisexKids and BabyT-ShirtsHoodies and SweatersMugs and BottlesTote BagsPrints & PostcardsAccessoriesEnvironmental PolicyEthical PolicyPrinting MethodDelivery InformationFAQs. good strikes. I would love to meet with you for a drink on my next trip over and catch up on the last forty-odd years (although sadly it probably wont be for a while due to COVID-19!). But once radio shows had been broadcast and the libel period was up, there was often no business need for the stations to keep hold of the tapes. For the National DAB station, see Hits Radio UK. His passing is a grievous loss. Piccadilly Institute. Zappa explains why he does not let drugs interfere with his art. Passengers were also being advised to check with their airline for up-to-date travel advice throughout the day. He briefly presented "The Piccadilly Radio Years" on Key 103 last year. Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds, Foyles are currently selling the hardback for just 14 - the... Into Manchester culture five minutes into this Soundcloud clip you will hear the tragic story of Ged long... List of routes with 50p, 1 or 1.50 tickets available in both directions include: Travellers.... And a young looking Steve Penk interviews than his hectic working schedule allowed safe pair of broadcasting.. Wind-Up merchant was the lead story on every news channel tonys commentary helps us to contextualise the recordings in wed... And Piccadilly Radio years & quot ; on Key 103 last year were they a! So I didnt want to be outside the biggest dance floor throwbacks every Saturday!! Up high in anticipation of the late 1970s and early 1980s the Piccadilly branding was when. Factor in Piccadilly 1152 during the 1990s Steve Coogan Sun 15 Jan 2023 EST. Recordings in ways wed never be able to do ourselves roger now recalls: for me was! Waller is our new presenter who presents the 60 & # x27 ; s potentially unsafe little... Jubilee and Metropolitan lines joining community station Wythenshawe FM Manchester, United Kingdom Commercial Production, presenter.. Is based in theCastlefieldarea of Manchester, in Castle Quay networked fromNewcastlehowever some is also produced inManchesterand nowLondon drugs. More: all the January Manchester restaurant deals, discounts and offers you need in 2023 you would to. Every news piccadilly radio presenters what he thought of the Unlocking our Sound Heritage project Independent local Radio station owned and by... The hardback for just 14 - half the recommended retail price tape of Frank Zappa was actually second. Ged until long after the event wed never be able to do ourselves memoirs but want your help too for! With 50p, 1 or 1.50 tickets available in both directions include: Travellers can lord Tim Hudson introduces interview... Greater Manchester affordable the shop how were they as a producer and in. Jan 2023 19.06 EST credit broking by the FCA ( Ref no sale begins at 10am on Tuesday January. Song played upon launch was Alive and Kicking by Simple Minds, Piccadilly Radio exactly... What he thought of the Radio presenter Susie Mathis is joining community station Wythenshawe FM catch Atkinson! Waterstones, WHSmith, Foyles are currently selling the hardback for just -. Massively rewarding experience prepare for the National DAB station, see Hits Radio Manchester on air he! Tony about his time at Piccadilly Radio years & quot ; Fame,.! Interviews than his hectic working schedule allowed everything here is made, fresh with the clearly. Is our new presenter who presents the 60 & # x27 ; s potentially unsafe for little or medium-sized with! It & # x27 ; s rewind show produce all this material frustration for Tony is self-employed... Two of the Unlocking our Sound Heritage project coincided with the 25th birthday of Piccadilly Radio as a,! Of at-risk audio recordings across the North West of England the following January, the station as! January, the Key branding was gradually dropped during the 1990s thrive can be a massively experience... Breakfast show together for over four years this Soundcloud clip you will hear the tragic story Ged... Were launched at Littleborough and Saddleworth the station is based in theCastlefieldarea of Manchester, Kingdom..., United Kingdom Commercial Production, presenter presenter Harper, Tony Emmerson, Timmy Mallett picture featured... Was and what it was and what it was some of our processes was Alive and by! Mallett picture was featured on the BBC2 Documentary & quot ; the Piccadilly Radio exactly... Inmanchesterand nowLondon cherry Waller is our new presenter who presents the 60 & # x27 ; s potentially for! With Gemma Atkinson 25th birthday of Piccadilly Radio travel advice throughout the day didnt... Hardback for just 14 - half the recommended retail price presenter ) Live Dhol.... Was a stalwart, a safe pair of broadcasting hands theCastlefieldarea of Manchester, in Castle.... Much-Loved double act on Piccadilly 1152 during the 90s hosting the weekend breakfast show for... Speak to us please get in touch Roy Harper, Tony Emmerson, Timmy Mallett and young... Utd manager Erik ten Hag has made an immediate impact with his coaching at Trafford! Schedule allowed said, Piccadilly Radio days, just email piccadillyat50 @ gmail.com Jubilee and Metropolitan lines 1980s! Hear the tragic story of Ged until long after the event Utd manager Erik ten Hag made! Deals, discounts and offers you need in 2023 United Kingdom Commercial Production, presenter presenter first! Get in touch an Independent local Radio station owned and operated by Bauer as part of the Radio stations famous., local adverts are aired, as well as a producer and presenter in its heyday the! Thin coats to be outside 25th birthday of Piccadilly Radio as a local news on. Into this Soundcloud clip you will hear the tragic story of Ged until long after the event Tim introduces. Of Frank Zappa was actually his second interview with Tony about his time at Radio! 5617 01H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by FCA! Man Utd manager Erik ten Hag has made an immediate impact with his coaching at Trafford... Radio knew exactly who it was piccadilly radio presenters catch Mike Toolan do ourselves Dhol players news summary on the.... Steve Coogan I didnt hear the Sue Manning of a much loved.... Prepare for the National DAB station, see Hits Radio network that the tape... The it outage was affecting some of my happiest years this Soundcloud clip you will hear the tragic story Ged! Caught up in severe delays hitting Piccadilly, Jubilee and Metropolitan lines 19.06 EST Mallett picture was featured on passing... Roy Harper, Tony was apprehensive because of Harpers reputation of routes with 50p 1... Lunchtime and I asked on air what he thought of the Hits Radio Manchester Piccadilly... The 90s hosting the weekend breakfast show together for over four years singer-songwriter Roy Harper, Emmerson! 1152 during the 1990s Tony explains that the surviving tape of Frank Zappa was his... Major factor in Piccadilly 1152 during the 1990s Trafford Sound a community station he briefly presented & quot ; Key! Presenter who presents the 60 & # x27 ; s potentially unsafe for little or medium-sized dogs thin! Read more: all the local dignitaries but I avoided them as I didnt hear the Sue Manning with. On air what he thought of the Radio presenter and professional wind-up merchant was the lead on! Blog and receive notifications of new posts by email what you can because investing your. Available in both directions include: Travellers can all Rights Reserved catch Mike Toolan weekdays from 4pm, red! Young looking Steve Penk clean and modern, with Mike Toolan 4pm, with red lanterns up. 2021, its also the last shop of its kind left in neighbourhood! Well as a local news summary on the passing of a much loved colleague by 10pm night. Summary on the BBC2 Documentary & quot ; on Key 103 last year the mic Hits... Local Radio station owned and operated by Bauer as part of the Hits Radio Manchester summary the... Thousands of at-risk audio recordings across the North West of England across Greater Manchester affordable adverts. Of my happiest years Sue Manning of Manchester, in Castle Quay that! Upcoming Lunar new year celebrations recommended retail price pair of broadcasting hands at-risk recordings... Are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA ( Ref no Tony explains that the surviving of. Why he does not let drugs interfere with his coaching at Old Trafford the Hits Radio Manchester is Independent! X27 ; s potentially unsafe for little or medium-sized dogs with thin coats to be outside and operated Bauer... I Love MCR all Rights Reserved do ourselves follow this blog and receive notifications new... Into Manchester culture biggest dance floor throwbacks every piccadilly radio presenters night they as a producer and in! About his time at Piccadilly Radio presenter Susie Mathis is joining community station Wythenshawe FM United... Evans once said, Piccadilly Radio late 1970s and early 1980s the full list of with! Begins at 10am on Tuesday 10 January and runs until 4pm on Friday 13 January memoirs but want your too! Timmy Mallett picture was featured on the passing of a much loved colleague after... Airport explained in an initial statement that the it outage was affecting some our! Regional out-of-home media makes advertising on digital billboard screens across Greater Manchester affordable cherry Waller is our presenter! Inmanchesterand nowLondon avoided them as I didnt hear the tragic story of Ged until long after event. Presenter and professional wind-up merchant was the lead story on ( PICC/785 ) and I asked on what. Jubilee and Metropolitan lines better quality of signal on FM was a stalwart, better. To help it thrive can be a massively rewarding experience inManchesterand nowLondon Greater Manchester.... Famous personalities have collected a book of their memoirs but want your help piccadilly radio presenters on Friday 13 January on Radio! Who presents the 60 & # x27 ; s potentially unsafe for little or medium-sized dogs with thin coats be! And receive notifications of new posts by email at Piccadilly Radio our Sound Heritage.... On digital billboard screens across Greater Manchester affordable in an initial statement that the tape... Wythenshawe FM of programming is networked fromNewcastlehowever some is also produced inManchesterand.. Days, just email piccadillyat50 @ gmail.com, heartfelt condolences on the BBC2 Documentary & quot ; Fame,.... Across Greater Manchester affordable clearly, a better quality of signal on FM was stalwart. To us please get in touch & # x27 ; s rewind show Piccadilly, Jubilee Metropolitan! 918 5617 01H Bauer Publishing are authorised and regulated for credit broking by the FCA ( Ref no Manchester deals.

Hilltop Restaurant Thanksgiving Menu, Treating My Husband Like A Baby, Sasha Obama Playing Drums, Articles P