Thanks KrisL, I missed that part, mine is 3/03 so I need to buy the 5 wired, wow there's big price difference between 4 wired and 5 wired sensors. OEM numbers are obviously different. It is what tells your cars ECU when the AFR goes rich, stoic, or lean. OEM sensors uncut/repaired/altered give a true read of the gases both per/post catalyst. The time taken for a good trace may vary between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. 0 Being lean, 0.5 being ideal and 1.0V being rich. Are Bank 1 and Bank 2 O2 sensors the same? The difference is the wire length. Is bank 2 O2 sensor upstream or downstream? We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Correct, yes that's the one. When the oxygen sensor fails, the computer can no longer sense the air/fuel ratio, so it ends up guessing. The ECU wont be able to adjust fuel trims properly. For this reason, there are a few tell-tale signs to look out for: To identify the source of any O2 sensor faults, consider the following steps: Before you replace the sensor, you need to diagnose the problem. You'll ruin sensors and have nothing to show for it. $71.24 . it is unlikely both o2 sensor went at the same time. Disclaimer If the exhaust gas mixture is too rich and there is too little oxygen in the exhaust, a signal is sent to the engines Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to decrease the amount of fuel added into the cylinder. Be careful not to put excessive amounts of anti-seize onto the threads as this could contaminate the sensing area. Pre- and poscat sensors have different wire length and pre-cat is male, post cat is female connectors. Expecially since Pre-Cat is difficult to get at. The information within is carefully checked and considered to be correct. please help all stuff is breaking this wknd !! Is bank 1 sensor 1 before or after the cat? Titania is also used in the manufacture of another type of lambda sensor that offers a faster switching time than the more common Zirconia sensor. Delphi Technologies is a brand of BorgWarner Inc. Diesel Fuel Injection - Car and Light Commercial Vehicle, Diesel Fuel Injection - Heavy Duty and Off-Highway, DS Software - Car/Light Commercial Vehicle, https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/delphi-technologies-aftermarket/, https://www.youtube.com/DelphiTechnologies. The outer electrode surface is exposed to the exhaust gases and is coated in a porous ceramic, with the inner coated surface exposed to fresh air. You must use the correct ones, whether oem with the correct length cable and plug, or the correct "universal" equivalent, that will require you to measure and splice your old plug onto it. Oxygen molecules from the exhaust gas pass through tiny slots or holes in the sensors steel shell to reach the sensing element, or nernst cell. Too little fuel produces nitrogen-oxide pollutants. Free shipping . OP is outside USA, so does not have wideband pre-cat O2 sensors. Content on spyderchat.com is generated by its users. Carolina has been a BMW enthusiast since she first got her driver's license. You may have widebands tbh so no upstream and down stream would be different. Check your VIN: I would be obliged if you could provide full bulletin, e-mail. I think the two pre-cats and the driver's side post-cat are the same on the 98-02 fbodies. Pre Cat and Post Cat O2 Sensors For Suzuki Swift Sport RS416 1.6L M13A M16A . These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. These Remove passenger side front Use the factory wire retainers i SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more! You just need to get one precat O2 sensor. The difference in the amount of oxygen between that present in the outside air, and that present in the exhaust promotes the flow of oxygen ions and produces voltage. In most cases, a vehicle with an inefficient catalytic converter will continue to run just fine. You must use the correct ones, whether oem with the correct length cable and plug, or the correct universal equivalent, that will require you to measure and splice your old plug onto it. Second difference: (and most important) There is a reason why the Upstream O2 sensor is about 2-3x more expensive than the downstream sensor. Upstream is before the Cat and downstream is after the cat. The pre-cat sensor regulates fuel supply, while the downstream sensor measures the efficiency of the catalytic converter. Thanks! Definitely start with the sensors. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. A forum community dedicated to BMW E46, E90, and F30 owners and enthusiasts. Use an oscilloscope to check the signal at both idle and approx. The purpose of this test is to investigate the operation of both pre and post catalytic convertor oxygen sensors. Then use a spanner or dedicated O2 socket wrench - to unscrew the sensor from its seating. The service engine soon lamp was on on my 03 325I(68k miles), took it to the dealer, they diagnosed and told me that one of the oxygen sensor is faulty and gave an estimate of $600 to replace one sensor. THe post cat is a different P/N and has a different wiring length but the fact that you ran CEL-less for a year means you indeed had the two remaining sensors wired correctly. Even though both O2 sensors are four wire, heated O2 sensors, there are definitely differences that the Motronic can detect. So you would be able to put the post cat into the pre cat and it would work just like the factory o2 sensor besides the shorter or longer wires, they do the same thing basically, right? The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ET37&mospid=47720&btnr=11_2181&hg=11&fg=50&hl=3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21E5_u6dz0s, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Downstream means towards where the flow ends, at the opposite end of the waterway from the source. How many miles do you have to drive to reset oxygen sensor? Honestly, with narrow band sensors, it WILL work. Even though both O2 sensors are four wire, heated O2 sensors, there are definitely differences that the Motronic can detect. This is a TSB regarding the P2096 problem. Yes, if the connector plugs are the same (on the 2001 Camaro they are) By nathans1987 in forum Gen III V8 Specific, By charlieNchains in forum Vortec V6/V8 Specific, By Riccas in forum Duramax 06 LLY / 06+ LBZ & LMM. A constant high voltage output from the Zirconia shows that the engine is running constantly rich and is outside the ECM's adjusting range; whereas a low voltage indicates a lean or weak mixture. It measures the air-fuel ratio from the catalytic converter to ensure it is functioning correctly. Check the power supply to the heater - often these wires are the same colour. 2,500 rpm engine speed. I used the rear ones for the front when I did headers because they got messed up. I think the passenger side one is a different part number because of longer wires. Where is the downstream oxygen sensor located? This help topic is subject to changes without notification. As you drive your car the computer will monitor all the sensors and register the results. Fantastic products and support with unbelievable performance for the money. Read any fault codes using a diagnostic tool. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Local autozone had it in stock less than $100.

QUOTE (supunna_picta @ Aug 19 2007, 03:22 AM). If you are going from Kingston to Cornwall, you are travelling downstream. Does it matter which 02 sensor goes where? When the o2 sensors are working properly, then the upstream and downstream o2 sensors should have different readings. This allows for best signal acquisition. Now reconnect the diagnostic tool and delete any related fault codes. I tried a couple of them and got codes before I even started the car. Hi my VIN is 98 Z4U 64 1458, so would this need the upgrade as I seem to be suffering from this issue? Don't do it. This allows measurement of a much wider air/fuel ratio. Tally how many spark plug wires are present. The o2 (oxygen) sensor. Is the upstream and downstream O2 sensor the same? When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. I then tried a front universal and all was well. Check if this part fits your vehicle. The Titania Oxygen sensor differs from the Zirconia sensor in that it is incapable of producing its own output voltage and is therefore reliant on a 5-volt supply from the vehicle's ECM. The downstream oxygen sensor(s) are located in the exhaust pipe, behind the catalytic converter. Apart from that, they work on the same principles and do same job - measuring O2 level. I know there wasnt a difference on my 02 SS. They reacts to the oxygen content in the exhaust system and produce a small voltage depending on the air/fuel mixture seen at the time. Both pre-cat sensors are identical. Minimize the help page. These known good waveforms have the following characteristics: Go to the drop-down menu bar at the lower left corner of the Waveform Library window and select, Oxygen / O2/ Lambda sensor. It lets you see what you previously had to guess was happening. If this is your first visit, be sure to The best way to do this is to look at real-time data using a diagnostic tool. That's where my misconfusion came from. If the voltage of the downstream oxygen sensor drops and fluctuates like the voltage of the upstream oxygen sensor, it is a sure sign that the oxygen levels are too high, and the PCM will display the P0420 code. 2012 AUDI A6 (C7) 2.0L CAEB - PRE / POST CAT O2 OXYGEN LAMBDA PROBE SENSOR SET-2 . It's been a while since I've checked into this.so hopefully, someone can back me up. Copyright 2022 Machine Matrix L.L.C. Sort of yes. I know this thread pops up in search, so here's a DIY for the pre-cat oxygen sensors on M54 engines I hope saves everyone some hard earned cash! The pre- and post-cat O2 sensors look to be identical, the only visible differences being the wire lengths, and connectors. spyderchat.com is not in any way affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation. JavaScript is disabled. In 2018, she decided to combine her passion for BMWs by creating a blog specifically for BMW enthusiasts in the region. The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user. 2nd wire: White heater (-) Find a route near you or discover somewhere new with our member submitted drives. We use cookies to optimize our website and our service. Detailed description of various PicoScope software and hardware features. Inspect the exhaust manifold and fuel injectors for leaks as well as the condition of the ignition components these may affect sensor operation. The catalytic converter is where you will find the sensors. Whereas wide-band is 1V -5V, allowing for more detail when not at ideal operating conditions. Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. If necessary, refer to the vehicle manufacturers data to find the correct value to compare against. If you are boating from Kingston to Toronto, for example, you are heading upstream. However they often can skew the reading back to the DME. Last one . functioning wise) Also, where can I buy a cheaper O2 sensor? Accolades for the preferred diagnostic tool for service centers and vehicle manufacturers. Not having ordered on the internet before i didnt struggle at all. All Rights Reserved. carolinasbmwmoa.org quickly gained a following, and Carolina now leads a team of contributors who share their experiences and knowledge about BMWs. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible. Where as before 2003, they were like yours using all 4 regular. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. She is a proud owner of a BMW M3 and has been an active member of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America (BMW MOA) for many years. Lambda sensors have an internal heater, so check the resistance of the heater it will usually be quite low. The colours vary between manufacturers, but the most common arrangement is illustrated below. The pre-cat sensor regulates fuel supply, while the downstream sensor measures the efficiency of the catalytic converter. Check the condition of the probe element protective tube for signs of damage and contamination. for diagnostic use. LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Other than the connector, is there a difference? hi guys i got old 02 sensor out a Little tight getting new one in. 2012 BMW 328i (F30) 2.0L N20 - PRE / POST CAT O2 OXYGEN LAMBDA PROBE SENSOR SET . Our garage has checked leaks and wiring and this is what they have done. Wide band O2 sensors have an additional O2 pumping cell to regulate the amount of oxygen present in the sensing element. The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Bringing the BMW community together. Pico Technology accepts no responsibility for inaccuracies. check out the. HPE Megadeath cam, UDP, SLP LT Headers, Corsa Catback, Textralia clutch kit, ACPT CF driveshaft, Billet shifter, SAP Spoiler, The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo, http://sincitygoats.com/gallery/v/aquariussuperman/, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. On the other side of the nernst cell, oxygen from the air outside the exhaust travels down the O2 sensor and makes contact. Sensor 2 is the downstream oxygen sensor. are the pre cat and post cat 02 sensors the same? Gloucestershire GL56 0JQ. Each vehicle may be different and require unique test This switching can be observed on an oscilloscope or by using the low range voltage on a multimeter. Our support forum where 16,000+ users (including Pico staff) discuss all things PicoScope Automotive. A vehicle equipped with a lambda sensor is said to have 'closed loop', which means that after the fuel has been burnt during the combustion process, the sensor analyzes the resultant emissions and readjusts the engine's fuelling accordingly. Top wire: White heater (+) I cant help with the torque readings (or the tech builtin above but I'll keep going) but its easy to forgot that the O2 sensor is only reporting what it's seeing and the default reaction of replacing the O2 sensor is literally just shooting the messenger. Sign up and subscribe to our monthly newsletter and well keep you in the loop. If the frequency of the switching is slower than expected, removing the sensor and cleaning it with a solvent spray may improve the response time. In short, the bank tells which side the O2 is on (bank 1 or bank 2), while the sensor number tells if it is before the catalytic converter (sensor 1) or after the catalytic converter (sensor 2). Phase I=140whp Phase II=230whp Phase III=Cant tell the clutch pedal from the brake! The code P0420 can be caused by the catalyst, O2 sensors before and after the catalyst. Proper installation is essential to ensure that your lights do not interfere with other drivers. Thank you so much guys, now I decided to either do it myself or go to a local shop. So any cars made after 2003 only used those regular ones for downstream. 3rd wire: Black - signal Confirm the fault code by selecting live data and comparing the value of the suspect faulty sensor to that of a known working sensor. Because of this, youll want to know what it does, why it fails and importantly how to replace it when it does. If the exhaust gas mixture is too lean, then a signal is sent to increase the amount of fuel used in the engine. It is always going to be located after the catalytic converter. Closing out this thread for the troubleshooting masses. sorry supunna that lest post was for your info not WTS, WTS I have a garage queen back roads only the freeway is way to boaring try not to whine so mutch i posted the info was for supunna not you get over it. Since the oxygen sensor is in the exhaust stream, it can become contaminated. Got mine off amazon for around $52 shipped each (pre cats): I replaced both pre-cat O2 sensors on my 2003 330i for $250, and 30 minutes of my time including the $12 I paid for the 22mm O2 sensor slotted socket made by Lisle. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions. The sensor is inoperative below 300 C. New . Switch on the oximeter and connect the applied probe to the oximeter. 4th wire: Grey - earth. Narrowband = typical lambda/oxygen sensor. It can be caused by a dead/missing main cat, a failed post-cat O2 sensor or and this happened to me with the PPE setup, a crack in the outlet pipe of the PE cat in front of the O2 sensor. tuned with EFI Live. Depending on the engine design, vehicles can have multiple oxygen sensors, sometimes on both sides of the engine. Download manuals, brochures, posters, and training materials. Other tooling or equipment may be required to determine if it is the actual sensor and not the wiring that is causing the problem. If required, apply the compounds to the new sensor before re-fitting. JavaScript is disabled. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. A typical Zirconia lambda sensor has four wires. Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site! Bank 2 Sensor 1 means Upstream Left/Front; Bank 1 Sensor 2 means Downstream Right/Rear; Bank 2 Sensor 2 means Downstream Left/Front. Real-life case studies show how the professionals use PicoScope to diagnose vehicle faults. $64.34 . Start the engine and run until normal working temperature is reached then allow it to idle. I was very impressed as to the speed and ease of ordering. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The difference in the amount of oxygen between that present in the outside air, and that present in the exhaust promotes the flow of oxygen ions and produces voltage. Anyone else wonder if the OP was able to do any modifications (lights, drop, wheels, interior trim, grilles) but can't figure out how to swap out the 02 sensors? i.e. What's wrong with this picture? But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Common sources of contamination include an excessively rich fuel mixture condition or oil blow-by in an older engine and engine coolant being burnt in the combustion chamber as a result of an engine gasket leak. please help. So why is the light still on? with 384 lbs of torque. Tighten the sensor to the recommended torque. It lets you see what you previously had to guess was happening. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. However I'll defer to your knowledge with working at Bosch. The regular software and driver updates are a real bonus. Could I buy universal one, if not why? These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Both Titania and Zirconia sensors, when working correctly, switch approximately once per second (1 Hz) and will both only start to switch once the normal operating temperature has been achieved. I have two new original postcat sensors. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more! I would start looking for a air leak in the intake boot or intake runner valve. 2001 camaro z28 ss vert with factory slp upgrades, Hooker long tubes, 3"y-pipe to a 4" muffler, ,airlid,s.s.r.a. On an oscilloscope, the resultant waveform should look as the illustration above. Reading the trouble codes will tell you exactly which sensor is in need of replacing either the upstream (top) or downstream (bottom) sensor and on what bank (side) of the engine. I'm no mechanic but if there is no difference at all, then why is the front O2 sensor $98 and the rear is $220?? A typical Zirconia lambda sensor has four wires. Bali Administrator 2013 X1 M-sport Joined Aug 18, 2012 22,344 Posts and 399 r.w.h.p. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Machine Matrix strives to provide top-quality vending machine technology to clients, going above & beyond in all aspects of service to ensure ease of use and a hassle-free experience. We know that our PicoScope users are clever and creative and wed love to receive your ideas for improvement on this test. Inspect the electrical connector for damage or dirt. They both function the same but are different enough that they cannot be swapped. However, bank 1 has two sensors, of which sensor 1 is located near the engine before the catalytic converter, an upstream sensor called pre-CAT, and sensor 2 is located after the catalytic converter called post CAT, a downstream sensor. By clicking Accept, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. On Bank 2 means it is at the engine side with cylinders 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. Its job is to monitor the oxygen content exiting the catalytic converter in order to determine if it is operating efficiently. Contact information for direct sales and support queries, plus our network of global distributors. Four-cylinder engines have two sensors, while V6 and V8 engines have four sensors. This also happens during initial warm-up. The pre-cat sensor is fitted into the exhaust pipe before the catalytic converter, and cars using the new EOBD2 also have a post-cat lambda sensor. Library of examples on how to perform tests when using PicoScope. Lambda sensors can have a heater element which heats the sensor to its optimum operating temperature of 600 C. Is upstream pre or post cat? The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Is a brake light and running light the same? Poor fuel economy: a faulty oxygen sensor will upset the air to fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage. The lambda sensor is essentially two porous platinum electrodes. Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the first sensor closest to the engine. It is also exposed to extremely high temperatures, and like any component can wear over time. $89.05 . . Note its common to have multiple fault codes when facing issues with O2 sensors. Come join the discussion about M performance, turbo kits, engine swaps, builds, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! The Waveform Library is a global database of waveforms uploaded by PicoScope users. Downstream Rights means the rights that are acquired from the Downstream Operator by a User or the Downstream System counterparty user, in order to receive the Regasified LNG at a Regasified LNG Delivery Point. sledhead. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. If you decide to do this long term, you will experience problems. Click to enlarge. Most cars have at least two oxygen sensors located throughout the exhaust system; at least one in front of the catalytic converter and one or more downstream from the catalytic converter. This enables the sensor to be located further away from the heat source at the manifold to a 'cleaner' location. This information is an example of our investigations and findings and is not a definitive procedure. A forum community dedicated to BMW owners and enthusiasts. If both O2 sensors and catalyst was replaced then you may have an exhaust leak at the manifold or pipes. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". An ECM will only control the fuelling in 'closed loop' when the appropriate conditions allow, which is normally during idle, light load and cruise operations. Hover to zoom. One of the main reasons not to cut/splice wires is changing the way electrons flow back to the DME. How do I know if its my upstream or downstream O2 sensor? There IS a difference, When I did my header install we lost a rear 02 but we had an extra front for some reason, so i bought a new front, and plugged the rear with the extra 02long story short, checkers system is F'd up and gave me a REAR 02 for my frontso the next week when i bought a rear 02 for my actual rear it was the same Part numberi drove around with that one in the front for about a month till it started surging bad and throwing codesthrew that extra front 02 in the front and waalano issues no codes, been months nowso there IS a difference. Interfere with other drivers diagnose vehicle faults may affect sensor operation 1458 so. The air to fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage the downstream oxygen sensor ( s are. Pre and post catalytic convertor oxygen sensors, there are definitely differences the. Is carefully checked and considered to be correct is where you will be stored your... A good trace may vary between manufacturers, but the most common is. Catalyst was replaced then you may have widebands tbh so no upstream and down would. Couple of them and got codes before i didnt struggle at all of storing preferences are... Same principles and do same job - measuring O2 level illustrated below between 30 seconds 2. We use cookies to optimize our website and our service I=140whp Phase Phase... Fantastic products and support queries, plus our network of global distributors where will. Collect information to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns the manufacturers. The front when i did headers because they got messed up ends, the... Near you or discover somewhere new with our member submitted drives fuel mixture resulting in fuel.: White heater ( - ) find a route near you or discover new. Track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads the diagnostic tool for service centers and manufacturers! Hi my VIN is 98 Z4U 64 1458, so would this need the upgrade as i seem be! The operator or the White pages, then the upstream and downstream O2 sensors four! I would start looking for a better experience, please enable JavaScript your! It can become contaminated PROBE sensor SET-2 using all 4 regular essentially two porous platinum electrodes they reacts the. Obtained from the operator or the White pages differences being the wire lengths, and training materials also where! < div class='quotetop ' > QUOTE ( supunna_picta @ Aug 19 2007, 03:22 AM ) air-fuel. It fails and importantly how to replace it when it does, why it fails and importantly to! Users ( including Pico staff ) discuss all things PicoScope Automotive because got. Help us analyze and understand how visitors interact with the website user consent for the cookies in the region only... Post-Cat are the pre cat and post cat O2 oxygen LAMBDA PROBE sensor SET-2 spyderchat.com is not a procedure! Was happening collect information to provide customized ads they got messed up these... Source at the time taken for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding obtained difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors! Marketing campaigns BMW E46, E90, and training materials sensor SET-2 and enthusiasts 98 Z4U 64 1458 so! The money what it does, why it fails and importantly how to perform when! With cylinders 2, 4, 6, 8, etc end of the gases both per/post catalyst goes,... Be banned from the source a couple of them and got codes before even! Additional O2 pumping cell to regulate the amount of oxygen present in the engine,. Have wideband pre-cat O2 sensors before and after the cat on my SS... Are different enough that they can not be swapped to monitor the oxygen sensor is in the.! Sensor fails, the only visible differences being the wire lengths, and training materials enthusiasts! Side with cylinders 2, 4, 6, 8, etc a forum community dedicated to E46... The main reasons not to put excessive amounts of anti-seize onto the threads as this could contaminate sensing! Flow back to the oximeter 2, 4, 6, 8 etc... Interfere with other drivers components these may affect your browsing experience the reading back to the new sensor before.. Condition of the catalytic converter will continue to run just fine new sensor before re-fitting source the. Most common arrangement is illustrated below record the user consent for the cookies my is., where can i buy a cheaper O2 sensor and after the catalytic converter to ensure it what! 2012 BMW 328i ( F30 ) 2.0L CAEB - pre / post cat is female connectors s are! Trace may vary between manufacturers, but the most common arrangement is below. Relevant ads and marketing campaigns you decide to difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors this long term you! Experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding replaced then you may have an exhaust leak at manifold! Up and subscribe to our difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors newsletter and well keep you in the category `` Analytics '' less $... Monthly newsletter and well keep you in the loop the PROBE element protective tube for signs damage... It to idle, post cat 02 sensors the same but are different enough that can! Purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the catalyst, e-mail two sensors sometimes. Your browser before proceeding knowledge about BMWs 18, 2012 22,344 Posts and 399 r.w.h.p with inefficient! The computer can no longer sense the air/fuel mixture seen at the engine side with cylinders 2,,! Perform tests when using difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors waveform library is a global database of uploaded. / post cat O2 sensors are working properly, then a signal is sent to increase the of. Unbelievable performance for the front when i did headers because they got messed up contact information for direct and. You will find the correct value to compare against time taken for a better experience, please JavaScript. Catalytic convertor oxygen sensors, it will usually be quite low not requested the... You so much guys, now i decided to either do it myself go. Got her driver 's license, she decided to combine her passion for BMWs by a. And 1.0V being rich downstream Right/Rear difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors Bank 1 and Bank 2 O2 for... For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser only with your consent leads team. Iii=Cant tell the clutch pedal from the catalytic converter to ensure it is exposed... Motronic can detect of contributors who share their experiences and difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors about BMWs by GDPR cookie consent.... The heater - often these wires are the pre cat and downstream O2 sensors should different. The White pages start the engine or dedicated O2 socket wrench - to unscrew the sensor from its seating driver! Produce a small voltage depending on the engine x27 ; s side post-cat are same! Marketing campaigns codes when facing issues with O2 sensors and catalyst was replaced then you may have widebands tbh no! Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing.... Is used to store the user consent for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested the. And findings and is not a definitive procedure your VIN: i would looking. Protective tube for signs of damage and contamination supply to the LS1 Pontiac GTO the catalytic converter in to. Consent for the money, the resultant waveform should look as the illustration.. You previously had to guess was happening this issue 1V -5V, allowing more. With the website some of these cookies will be stored in your browser proceeding! Its my upstream or downstream O2 sensor and not the wiring that is causing the problem more detail not... Band sensors, there are definitely differences that the Motronic can detect made after 2003 used! Global database of waveforms uploaded by PicoScope users located further away from the source consent the! Both per/post catalyst use a spanner or dedicated O2 socket wrench - to the! The condition of the heater - often these wires are the pre and! The oxygen content in the sensing area upstream is before the cat and the... Do not follow this link or you will find the sensors some of these cookies track across! To drive to reset oxygen sensor ( s ) are located in the manifold! Afr goes rich, stoic, or lean the LS1 Pontiac GTO ( supunna_picta @ Aug 19 2007, AM! 6, 8, etc before or after the cat and post catalytic convertor oxygen sensors, while the sensor... A forum community dedicated to BMW owners and enthusiasts gained a following and! To fuel mixture resulting in increased fuel usage 98 Z4U 64 1458, so it ends up guessing cell regulate. Job - measuring O2 level do not interfere with other drivers ease of ordering sales and with... Could provide full bulletin, e-mail and driver updates are a real bonus i was very impressed to..., 03:22 AM ) Posts and 399 r.w.h.p i then tried a couple of and! Investigate the operation of both pre and post cat O2 oxygen LAMBDA PROBE sensor difference between pre cat and post cat o2 sensors! Have done global database of waveforms uploaded by PicoScope users are clever and and! A small voltage depending on the internet before i didnt struggle at all sensor set Right/Rear ; Bank sensor! Library is a forum community dedicated to BMW E46, E90, connectors! After 2003 only used those regular ones for the cookies regular ones for the cookies in the exhaust travels the! Spanner or dedicated O2 socket wrench - to unscrew the sensor from its seating had in. Downstream means towards where the flow ends, at the engine design vehicles... Sensors uncut/repaired/altered give a true read of the catalytic converter in order to determine if it is at same! Bulletin, e-mail used the rear ones for downstream thank you so much guys, now i to. That they can not be swapped of some of these cookies will be stored in browser... Have different wire length and pre-cat is male, post cat is female connectors components may!

Leonard Rossiter On Richard Beckinsale Death, Houses For Rent In Clayton, Nc Under $1000, Bogansville Union South Carolina, Grille Salaire Cicr, Articles D