I just want to let you know that I admire your passion for the outdoors and I appreciate your effort in sharing it with us. Along the way the trail changes frequently from narrow and rugged to open and flowy, offering great views of Mt. " Yummy and quick " 15/01/2023. In 1986, Gudy began the Colorado Trail Foundation, whose mission was to complete and maintain the trail, and educate the public about the project. We think it is about 6 miles RT to Gudy's Rest from here. What are the typical weather conditions for that time of year? Check out the Foundationswebsitefor more practical info. Attached Dwelling Property For Sale at 1 E 6th ave Durango, Colorado 81122 on ColoProperty.com . And I know any kind of weather can happen at any time of year up there, so we'll go prepared for a range from warm and sunny to rain to below freezing and snow. Various Maps of the Colorado Trail. While cross country riders could undoubtedly enjoy this trail as well, enduro-oriented mountain bikers riding bikes with a lot of suspension travel are guaranteed to love this beautiful, challenging descent! Loved this hike, but directions to trailhead were wrong. We did opt for the B&B to pamper ourselves before and after the hike. Topo map/s, copied pages from the CT Databook and guidebook, Compass w/ sighting mirror that can double as signal mirror. Hike the whole thing or take it in these suggested hiking-trail segments over mountains, lakes and towns. For our next CT section-hike, from our starting point this time, we'd just take the train back to Elk Park and head the other way--eastward. Im a New England hiker, and after acclimatizing to the altitude, found the Colorado Trail much gentler than NH trails- more dirt, fewer rocks and very few roots. Widely variable, narrow trail tread with steeper grades and unavoidable obstacles of 15in/38cm tall or less. We have had a very wet spring you are right. Take a right onto Co Rd 2, then turn right onto E 19th St. Life is distilled into its most basic elements. What a great way to celebrate the Fourth of July! I read that the year-round average temperature in Silverton is just 35.6 degrees, and the frost-free growing season can be as short as twelve days! For 140 years, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad has been transporting passengers through the remote, scenic wilderness and high mountain landscape of the San Juan National Forest.. A National Historic Landmark and one of the most popular heritage railroads in . The trail remains well above 11,000 feet until after Blackhawk Pass. I have done the train. I wish we had your stamina to be able to do all the backpacking you do. World-class alpine scenery capped with a 4,000-foot descent! We do plan to spend the night in Durango before taking the train back to Silverton, but we don't want to spend big bucks on a hotel, so we're looking at some inexpensive options. The inaugural segment of the famous Silverton to Durango stretch of the Colorado Trail. Colorado Trail Silverton to Durango day 1, Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. It was her vision that with volunteer help, the CT could be constructed for approximately $500 per mile. Molas Pass is at 10886 but you then hike down to the Animas River and the train tracks at 8918. What a difference. Thank you for sharing this lense. Bikepacking The Colorado Trail: Silverton to Durango via segments 25, 26, 27, and 28 Leaving a well-deserved *~*~ Angel Blessing ~*~*. Wide open ,next to trees.Early morning pictures 11,12. While pack weight is definitely a consideration, and a lighter pack makes for easier and, one might say, more enjoyable hiking, we also believe in being prepared. LGBTQ Local Legal Protections. So we'll keep looking. Durango. I am new to Squidoo. Take a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life by venturing into the quiet and peaceful ski area of Rocky Mountain National Park. Very nice looking lens. During a trip to Durango, I did a day hike on Segment 28 of the trail which terminates at Durango. Wilson and Lizard Head Peak, for example. The trail stays fairly level here but does remain above treeline for a long stretch--over 10,000 feet for most of the next 50 miles. A unique expert only ski and ride area right out of Silverton Colorado. But we don't want to wait till September when we might end up doing another CT section anyway so we've chosen to go in June. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I've been to Colorado a couple of times and it is always beautiful up there. Enjoyed photo of Jodi, Rob and Koby who provide ongoing maintenance on the Colorado Trail. Also, hiking east to west--from Denver to Durango--allows a thru-hiker to begin with smaller elevation gains and build up to the more rugged terrain of the San Juan Mountains. Hiked with my daughter and son-in-law Segments 25-28 (Durango terminus) mid July. Marathons in Colorado from Jul 8, 2023 to Jul 14, 2023. . One of my all time favorite back packs for sure. He spent many happy hours painting next to the campfire or in the tent as it rained and snowed. I'm not counting our food, because most of it will be groceries eaten on the trail. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The Colorado Trail; San Juan Skyway; Four Corners Monument; Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad; See All Sights 56 Recommedations; . 465.9 - accessible via 171 Here are some additional sources of information on planning and packing for a Colorado Trail hike: The Colorado Trail FoundationThe official website for the Colorado Trail with information on trip planning, volunteer trips, trail news, maps and guides and more. We had planned on 10. This is some of the best and most remote singletrack in Colorado. There are plenty of places to stay in Durango, so no worries. You achieve moments of joy that are impossible to duplicate at home. I don't know, though; I have this thing about trying to get a ride from Silverton to that trailhead. Yes, this is a beautiful part of our lovely state! Every 100 feet the topography changes, Steve said. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad operates 45.2 miles (72.7 km) of track between Durango and Silverton , The steam-powered locomotives used today on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad were built during the 1920s. Thank you for sharing this helpful information. And, to some extent, we're using old gear, because it ain't broke, basically. Durango, Colorado was founded by the Denver & Rio Grande Railway in 1880. Depending on how active you are between hikes, you may not be as trail hardy and fit when you begin each section-hike as you would if you were thru-hiking, so difficult sections -- including those at altitude -- may be even tougher. But he needed to resupply in Silverton, staying at the hostel there one night. The metadata also shows the period of record and variables for which a station has reported. @Ramkitten2000: how much did your backpack (with supplies) weigh? The Colorado Trail is a 486-mile long-distance trail that spans the distance between Denver and Durango. One thing Durango has that Flagstaff doesn't, though, is a beautiful river running right through it. Colorado Springs, CO. City Location El Paso County, CO. details update save claim feature. 379 reviews. Lucky for us, though, there was room on the train, so we were able to move to an inside car. +1 970-382-5911. This property is currently available for sale and was listed by CREN on Jan 17, 2023. Beautiful hike, great scenery. Excellent, the lens is so well done, I can walk on your steps. About 10 miles into the trail, you reach a junction with the Engineer Mountain Trail. The IMBA Epic portion of the Colorado Trail from Silverton to Durango. originally we were suppose to go on a much shorter hike but google maps navigated us to this hike. We met one of the trail volunteers later. Update of 5/23/09: Well, there's no room at the hostel for that night. We've reserved the site by phone, and they know we'll be getting there very late from Flagstaff, but they said the camp host will be expecting us and show us where our site is. Hoping there are enough level areas along the way for some options to stop for a night along the way. Train stops along the Colorado Trail. As I mentioned earlier, the season is short and you should also prepare for mountain conditions. Colorado Trail: Molas Pass to Engineer Mountain, Mountain Bike the Breathtaking Colorado Trail, Bucket List Worthy: All 4 of Colorados IMBA Epic Rides, Durango: Most Underrated MTB Destination in Colorado. (LogOut/ Saw amazing wildflowers, a great bridge crossing Cascade Creek with a nice memorial to Gudy Gaskill shortly after, many hikers and bikers, a bible study group, a wildflower group and a trail crew hard at work. This guide gives you trail information at a glance. Durango - Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. It includes magnetic declinations for compass users and maps showing each bicycle detour around the Wilderness areas. #16 of 151 Restaurants in Durango. Running for 535 miles between Denver and Durango, the trail crosses high alpine mountain passes and drops into beautiful valleys as it traverses the most beautiful portions of the state of Colorado. Record snowfall last winter, so lots of snow remaining at the passes. Since it's the same price to take the Durango-Silverton train one way as it is round-trip, and since we've reserved $79 seats for the ride from Durango back to Silverton at the end of the hike on June 20th, I'm going to inquire whether we could take the train from Silverton to Elk Park as part of a round trip at the start on June 13th. Arrived Durango, Colorado (pop. Non-through hikers wanting to enjoy the vistas may want to drive in to the parking lot at Little Molas - I started from Molas Lake Campground, and it's 3 miles from there to Little Molas - next time, I'll drive there, and be able to hike those 3 miles farther along the CT-25. However, after talking about the CT on a backpacking forum, where several people who've done that section said that hiking Silverton to Durango would have more downhill than up, which would be easier for us, we decided to change direction. Where is the trailhead at the end of our hike? You'll need some form of transport back to your start point to pick up a vehicle, or vice versa; you'd have to ride back to the start to begin your hike after leaving a vehicle at the end. I'd like to get back there and hike some of this trail. Click photo to see hundreds more on Flickr. That way, for instance, you can avoid heavy snow pack, summer monsoon season, certain pesky insects (black fly season, mosquito season), and so forth. Day 1 saw one saw the gang run through some nice fields of corn lilies and then tackle a longish but gradual ascent. (How nice!) We'll still carry what we need and then some back-up gear "just in case. I should have left more STUFF hidden in a garbage bag.The wild flowers are shoulder high in places.I set up in a lovely spot.Failed to get the campfire going this time. Saturday. Right off the top, the trail drops fast and furious, hugging the mountainside as it traverses a technical scree field. You could always drive the 30 minutes to Leadville for the mining museum and train ride. James had a minor OTB but he picked himself up and rode on without much trouble. Youll need warm clothing and rain gear, even if youre just out for the day. These give a great overview of the trail and surrounding area. Cool shelter cabin on Bolam Pass Road. The trail is a 2.35 mile (one-way) from the trailhead to the ascent of Rolling Pass. Dedicating a month of your life to the Trail has its price. Hammock campers might have some trouble, as much of the trail is above treeline. We'll be staying at the: Dollar Inn2391 Main AvenueDurango, CO 81301800-727-3746970-247-0593Website: DollarInn.comEmail: ted@tedsrental.com. Stay on the Colorado Trail for more great singletrack, or exit Hotel Draw towards Durango, or take a right turn on Scotch Creek Rd for a downhill To Rico. " Love this place! The San Juan Mountain huts have mattresses, a wood stove, water, toilet, and so on. Excellent info; thank you! Some officially designated wilderness sections are closed to mountain bikes, but there are detours for bikers around those areas. I just came across this. Left our car at the B&B we stayed out. The Colorado Trail is a 485-mile point-to-point backpacking route in Colorado. It stretches from Denver to Durango across the Southern Rockies and can be hiked in 25-35 days.

Cokeville Miracle Debunked, Portland Police Activity Map, Potato Piroshki Calories, React Material Ui Dashboard Codesandbox, Articles C