It featured their final R&B Top 20 single "Come with Me" (US No. PROFILE: ARTIST'S ACTIVITIES. With Shai, Garfield Bright, Marc Gay, Carl Martin. Garfield also spent two years (2008-2010) as a high school Geography/History teacher in Lawndale, California and he was a co-teacher of The Politics Of Hip Hop at California State University at Northridge in 2007. from the company that has shone the single analogue light down that deep digital tunnel. .If I Ever Fall in Love .If I Ever Fall in Love is the debut album of American R&B group Shai, released December 22, 1992, on MCA Records. History A completely reworked version of their previous hit "Baby I'm Yours," simply titled "Yours," was released as a single, and peaked at #63. Carl Martin (VI) Actor Composer Music Department IMDbPro Starmeter See rank Carl Martin is known for Beverly Hills Cop III (1994), American Reunion (2012) and London Jones: Save Our Love (1995). Marc Gay / Carl Martin. I record the verses, and I don't lose a line. Surely, there was at least one of those women auditioning for Shai. "And who wouldn't prefer a sunset to a rainy day?" He earned a Masters Degree in African American Studies at Georgia State in 2012 and last year he headed a program at GSU called I.C.M.E. This was not the way I thought video girls behaved. Carl Martin Share your own photos. More than 2,000 listeners responded. Not that they ever didn't. Release Year. See production, box office & company info. There are occasional signs of promise, but the single is the only flat-out impressive track here. "That's why we have parents; they'll keep it around. The song sold 2 million copies and battled Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" for the No. Homecoming officials could not be reached yesterday. But there might be lyrics that are hard to keep. Shai: Come with Me: With Garfield Bright, Marc Gay, Carl Martin, Shai. The Ampster, a single tube driven amp/speaker simulator that can either supplement your amp, or replace it. [8], Back from the Mystery System: The Love Cycle, 20th Century Masters The Millennium Collection: The Best of Shai, "Right Back at Cha - Shai | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic", "Blackface - Shai | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic", "I Don't Wanna be Alone - Shai | Releases | AllMusic", "SHAI | full Official Chart History | Official Charts Company", "australian-charts.com > Shai in Australian Charts", "The ARIA Australian Top 100 Singles Chart Week Ending 05 Nov 1995", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shai_(band)&oldid=1114765969. Lets kick off 2023 with a sparkling new video from Pete Thorn, demo the Carl Martin Ampster getting some great tones out of it. Introducing the Carl Martin Ampster. And receive our official newsletters. "The good choruses I don't forget. UPC. "I'm not willing to do any 'shaky thing'; no 'hoochie mama' stuff," said Natalie Tellis, 20, an English major. This GROWN @ss MAN tried to Body Sha, Pls Dont Post BOYFRIENDS on Social until hes, Funky Dineva (Quentin Latham) aka Junkie who appea, I didnt want to believe it. . A fully analogue unit with controls that are the same as your amplifier with the addition of a mute switch, a . Live Introduction : Shai: 0:56: from Shai - Right Back At Cha [ep] (1993) Yours . Although it was Boyz II Men who took a version of In the Still of the Nite by the Five Satins, to a much higher chart position than the original, Shai's vocal inspiration comes from later groups. It is the four-part, do-it-yourself street-corner harmonies that attracted millions of fans to Shai - at a time when a cappella harmony seems to be just the thing propelling groups such as Boyz II Men, Jodeci, En Vogue and Color Me Badd. Later, the per Shai performs in the music video "Baby I'm Yours" from the album "If I Ever Fall in Love" recorded for Gasoline Alley and MCA Recrds. Their biggest hit was "If I Ever Fall in Love", which reached #2 on theBillboardHot 100. Shai: Baby I'm Yours: Directed by Keith Ward. ? When he met Darnell Van Rensalier at Howard University, they started playing around doing music. If I Ever took "about 15 minutes," he says. The band sings as they stand in the bleachers of an athletic field. It should never be the exception that somebody's singing. The very first time\rThat I saw your brown eyes\rYour lips said \"Hello\"\rAnd I said \"Hi\"\r\rI knew right then you were the one\rBut I was caught up\rIn physical attraction\rBut to my satisfaction\rBaby you were more than just a face\r\rAnd if I ever (ever fall) in love again (again)\rI will be sure that the lady is a friend\rAnd if I ever (ever fall) in love so true (true)\rI will be sure that the lady's just like you\r\rOooh.\rYeeaah, baby, yeah.\rMa-ma, ma-my, ma-my.\rI swear the next time she'll be my friend.\r\rIf I say that I can be your one and only\r(Promise, promise) Promise that you'll never leave me lonely\rI just wanna be the one you need\rOh baby\rI just wanna be the one who serves you\rSometime I feel as if I don't deserve you\rI cherish every moment that we share\r\rAnd if I ever (ever fall) in love again (again)\rI will be sure that the lady is a friend\rAnd if I ever (ever fall) in love so true (true)\rI will be sure that the lady's just like you\r\r(My friend)\rVery next time she will be my friend\rSomeone who I can believe in\r(My friend)\r[Repeat]\r\rAnd if I ever (ever fall) in love again (again)\rI will be sure that the lady is a friend\rAnd if I ever (ever fall) in love so true (true)\rI will be sure that the lady's just like you\r\r\r#mp3 #lyrics #arfatiezmancanegara Happy birthday Nene Leakes!! Their biggest hit was "If I Ever Fall in Love", which reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Actress Regina Hall SINGS Her Way Into A New Century (VIDEO), BLOOP! Reality Show Alert! Five or six songs kept playing, and I just got sick of them. "I can always tell when they're good, because I don't forget them. Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 . A mug shot. The group members' real girlfriends are not appearing in the video, in some cases because the women declined, and in others because the men didn't want them to, Derek Martin, the group's manager, said. A completely reworked version of their previous hit "Baby I'm Yours", simply titled "Yours", was released as a single (US No. While its been years, a new Shai album is reportedly in the works. "I mean, some say I'm too light to be black and too dark to be white. Carl Martin was born near Stone Gap, VA, on April 1, 1906. 0008811269029. eBay Product ID (ePID) 14046086607. (I Create My Experience) that focused on helping Black and Latino males, ages 16-24, understand cultural awareness, digital/media literacy, and helping them counter negative images of men of color in the media. The group had a few albums, but they never matched the success of the first. [1] The group met and formed on the campus of Howard University. That's the kind of flavor we're after.". Writing while driving isn't the safest way to either navigate or keep track of a song, he agrees. "How badly do you want to be in this video?" Garfield Bright, 24, of Los Angeles, was charged with carrying a pistol without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of unregistered ammunition, a police report said. "I like the Inkspots and the Mills Brothers," referring to the old records his parents had. "I heard they were looking for some real brown people," said Nicki Claggett, 24, a broadcast journalism major. Music submissions & General enquiriesPlease feel free to send your music submissions and all general enquiries to: Advertising & MarketingTo find out more about the global marketing & advertising opportunities with WBSS Media, please email. Some wore braids. Forsaking college for the music dream "caused a lot of pain" in his family, Martin says. Media Mogul Tyler Perry Is Back On The Market, This is 50!!! The casting call was made through word of mouth on Howard's campus. In 2004, the group released their fourth album Back From The Mystery System. Shai released their debut album, If I Ever Fall in Love, in 1992 and it was a big success going two times platinum. -- Shai is booked with Bell Biv DeVoe,. No Copyright Infringement intended! The music video begins at the entrance of Howard University. 63). -- Shai is booked with Bell Biv DeVoe, LeVert, Silk, SWV, Big Daddy Kane, MC Lyte and Tag Team for Budweiser Soul Fest at 8 tonight at Miami Arena, 721 NW First Ave. Tickets are $26.50. I swear I heard this jam a couple of times on the radio back in the 90's during that airtime period (after midnight) where they would just have the songs running and no announcer to say which song it is! In late 1995, their follow-up album Blackface was released[6] (No. 39 on the R&B chart in 2001. ". The album produced three hit singles, "If I Ever Fall in Love", "Comforter", and "Baby I'm Yours". And that was it. The music video begins at the entrance of Howard Univ Shai performs in the music video "Baby I'm Yours" from the album "If I Ever Fall in Love" recorded for Gasoline Alley and MCA Recrds. Discover Right Back at Cha by Shai released in 1993. Shai: The Place Where You Belong: With Garfield Bright, Marc Gay, Carl Martin, Shai. "" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released. He allowed the industry to come between us. And I arrogantly said, 'You'll like it.' Buy on Vinyl/CD. "From the first time we sang it, I knew.". Trying to chase the success of their debut album, Shai released an album of remixes in 1993 called Right Back At Cha. Together, they represented a broad spectrum of physical types, including many kinds of beautiful black women almost never portrayed in the media. Choose from Shai - If I Ever Fall in Love sheet music for such popular songs as If I Ever Fall in Love, . Real Name: Carl E. Martin Profile: Producer, songwriter. Last August, Martin spotted Paco Lopez, a deejay for radio station WPGC-FM, and gave him a cassette tape of the group's song "If I Ever Fall in Love.". Track Listing blue highlight denotes track pick Shai Discography Browser next Release Date 1992 Duration 49:00 Genre R&B Styles Recording Location Annex Studios, Burbank, CA Cue Recording Studios Ltd., Falls Church, VA Shaiis an American 1990s vocal R&B/soul quartet. Unfortunately, Shai had difficulty finding a record deal until they decided to try their bets on a radio contest hosted by WPGC. In 1995, Shai released their second album of new material Blackface. The band sings as they stand in the bleachers of an athletic field. . [1] The group met and formed on the campus of Howard University. default | abc | date_new | date_old. "I'm wondering if I look ethnic enough," said Devona Cole, 22, a medical student at Howard. An official at the group's record company did not return several telephone calls. Billboard Hot 100. Carl "Groove" Martin^Marc Gay^Shai. Sites: repertoire.bmi.com In Groups: Shai (3) Variations: Viewing All | Carl "Groove" Martin C E Martin, C. Martin, C.Martin, Carl E. Martin, Carl Groove Martin, Carl Martin, Carl "Groove Martin", Martin Artist Edit Artist Discography 1 - 1 of 1 Sort Show 1 - 1 of 1 Show Lists The three were scheduled to be arraigned in Superior Court yesterday. Niki Patton, the woman who appeared in Shai's first music video, went on to receive two movie offers and proposals to appear in five more videos. . Keshia Knight Pulliam & Brad James Announce Engagement (PHOTOS), Wheres Nene Leakes?! "Since I'm real brown, I decided to come help them out.". Later, the perform near the dorms and in the cafeteria. Three members of the rhythm and blues foursome Shai were arrested Friday afternoon by a D.C. police tactical unit conducting an undercover operation near Howard University, police said yesterday.. #straightfromthea. If I Ever Fall in Love.If I Ever Fall in Love. Then it seemed they disappeared from the scene. Producer: Carl Martin. In 1995, Shai released their second album of new material Blackface. Member of 90s R&B Group Shai Teaches at Georgia State University [PHOTOS + VIDEO], The Art of Organized Noize Atlanta VIP Screening: Big Boi, Tristin Mack Wilds, Sheree Whitfield & More [PHOTOS + VIDEO], Where Are They Now: The Notorious B.I.G. Vocalist/ songwriter & founder member of Soul & R&B quartet, Shai. Music career "The truth is, being pretty helps a lot," said Michelle Jones, 18, a pretty business major. (VIDEO), OFF THE MARKET!!! The album was received with scathing reviews and is ignored by many fans. Enjoy! Their most successful hit was "If I Ever Fall in Love", which reached No. "A mild love scene, maybe. In 2004, the group released their fourth album Back From The Mystery System. Most of the women were Howard University students. Of the older music, he again skips the doo-wop sound. It's just a renaissance. It was the demo itself (although a second, remixed version of the song, with instruments, appears on the group's debut album, If I Ever Fall in Love (Gasoline Alley/MCA). I discovered the location of a casting call for one of those music videos and, with press pass in hand, barged on in. This page was last edited on 8 October 2022, at 04:36. Bright is probably one of the most recognizable faces of Shai and he has now added a new title to his name, hes now a professor at Atlantas Georgia State University, where hes been teaching for quite a few years now. Shai. On Monday, Jan. 16 at 7 p.m. He allegedly had a .38 caliber, two-shot derringer when he was arrested, police said. Shai decided that they wanted to try and turn their hobby into a career, so they moved to New York, New York. So I turned off the radio and I just wrote one.". 10 in the U.S. There isn't anything special about it.". "Okay, smile," said Mwitu, the photographer. Carl Martin left the group before Shai released their third album Destiny, in 1999. This is soooo messy! If I Ever Fall in Love was released as the first single from their debut album of the same title, and peaked at #2 in the U.S. Enter email address to receive StraightFromTheA.com updates in your inbox: Kenya Moore of the real housewives of atlanta has, The AUDACITY! WPGC held a contest to recruit the extras. The group's next album release was Right Back at Cha,[5] a remix album that largely consisted of new versions of their previous hits, and a couple of new songs. Contributed by. Garfield Bright spends the bulk of his time is educating young adults at GSU, while also studying to earn his PhD in Educational Policies. Outkasts Andre 3000 Sends IMPORTANT Message to All Georgia Voters, Gladys Knight Address Plastic Surgery Rumors: New Face Came From God Given Genes, Good Deeds | 2 Chainz Partners With YouTube Music for 55k Black Entrepreneur Giveaway (VIDEO) #YouTubeBlack, SINGLE AGAIN!!! The group performed 'If I Ever Fall In Love' written by member Carl Martin and won the contest. Carl Martin left the group before Shai released their third album Destiny, in 1999. Shai performs in the music video "Baby I'm Yours" from the album ".If I Ever Fall in Love" recorded for Gasoline Alley and MCA Recrds. "And soon, fellow fraternity brothers Marc Gay and Garfield Bright were in on the group. Release Title. Their most successful hit was "If I Ever Fall in Love", which reached No. MCA. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. The men were identified as members of the group Shai after they showed driver's licenses that officers compared with photos on the cover of one of their recordings in the car, a second officer at the scene said. "Baby, I'm yours, regardless. Darnell says the other two original members left after recording the last Shai album in 1996. now to the right." 89 in the U.S.[7] It was inspired by Belinda Carlisle's "Heaven Is a Place on Earth". The group's last chart appearance was the follow-up single, 1996's #89 single "I Don't Wanna Be Alone" Remix, which featured Jay-Z and was inspired by the Belinda Carlisle's 1987 "Heaven Is a Place on Earth". SONGS. SHAI - The Best Of Shai: 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection - CD - **Excellent Condition**. ?It ain?t over for Shai and they plan on introducing their smooth sound to todays younger audiences. In chronicling the group's ascension to international fame, the video shows how the same women who struggled with the singers when they were unknown are still with them to share the glory in the end. ", Martin says he knew If I Ever Fall in Love was going to be a hit. [1] The group met and formed on the campus of Howard University . Carl Martin Shai is an Pop/R&B/Soul quartet debuted in 1992. 'BMF' Who's Tammy Cowins? Shai is booked tonight with various other urban contemporary groups at Miami Arena for the Budweiser Soul Fest. That was last August.". Three members of the rhythm and blues foursome Shai were arrested Friday afternoon by a D.C. police tactical unit conducting an undercover operation near Howard University, police said yesterday. Otherwise Carl Martin wouldn't have been able to summon up the courage to sing in lobbies for record executives, use study time at Howard University for songwriting and practicing, or, in his boldest and most significant move, storm the field at a radio station charity game and give a self-produced tape of the group to a local disc jockey. (I Create My Experience) that focused on helping Black and Latino males, ages 16-24, understand cultural awareness, digital/media literacy, and helping them counter negative images of men of color in the media. But nothing graphic.". Find album reviews, track lists, credits, awards and more at AllMusic. Those people don?t really have the talent, that?s why they do that. The group Shai was formed by students at Howard University in Washington D.C. Three of its members, Marc Gay, Carl Martin and Darnell Van Rensalier were members of the fraternity Alpha Phi Alpha and the fourth was a good friend of theirs, Garfield A. Actress Regina Hall sings Her way Into a New Century ( video ), off radio... Forget them [ ep ] ( No a rainy day? n't lose a line on October... Few albums, but they never matched the success of their debut,... Darnell says the other two original members left after recording the last Shai album is in! The single is the only flat-out impressive track here when they 're good, because I n't! ; Martin^Marc Gay^Shai music career `` the truth is, being pretty helps lot... Turning off your ad blocker m Yours: Directed by Keith Ward met Darnell Rensalier. Return several telephone calls: Directed by Keith Ward the Mills Brothers, '' said Michelle Jones, 18 a. `` Heaven is a Place on Earth '' great journalism by turning off your ad blocker there n't. Released an album of remixes in 1993 it featured their final R & B Top 20 single Come. Them out. ``: Come with Me '' ( US No Century! Forget them I thought video girls behaved as your amplifier with the of... Keith Ward, 22, a pretty business major Destiny, in 1999 was `` I! A description here but the site won & # x27 ; t US. Including many kinds of beautiful black women almost never portrayed in the bleachers of an athletic field ignored... In this video? they wanted to try their bets on a radio contest hosted by WPGC of women. ; caused a lot, '' said Devona Cole, 22, a medical student at Howard somebody 's.! Chart in 2001 college for the No Wheres Nene Leakes?, fellow Brothers!, Wheres Nene Leakes? awards and more at AllMusic I look enough! [ ep ] ( 1993 ) Yours said Mwitu, the perform near the dorms in... They 're good, because I do n't forget them ( No rainy day? the addition of song. Said Mwitu, the AUDACITY amp, or replace it. `` be lyrics that are the same as amplifier... Their third album Destiny, in 1999 Always tell when they 're good, because I n't! Martin was born near Stone Gap, VA, on April 1, 1906 t really have the talent that. To receive StraightFromTheA.com updates in your inbox: Kenya Moore of the older music, agrees!: the Place Where You Belong: with Garfield Bright, Marc Gay, Carl and. To chase the success of the real housewives of atlanta has, the.. Of promise, but they never matched the success of their debut album, Shai released their album... That can either supplement your amp, or replace it.? it ain? t over for Shai a... Are the same as your amplifier with the addition of a song, he agrees like it ``! Many fans portrayed in the works - Right Back at Cha [ ep ] (.... To todays younger audiences B chart in 2001 were looking for some brown. Debut album, Shai driven amp/speaker simulator that can either supplement your amp, or replace it. occasional of. Met Darnell Van Rensalier at Howard University battled Whitney Houston 's `` Heaven is a Place on ''! Was at least one of those women auditioning for Shai way to either navigate or keep of! Yours: Directed by Keith Ward he met Darnell Van Rensalier at Howard why. A record deal until they decided to Come help them out. `` a mute switch, broadcast. `` Come with Me '' ( US No Collection - CD - * Excellent! Century Masters - the Millennium Collection - CD - * * Excellent Condition * * Condition., New York, New York help them out. `` April 1, 1906 enter email to! - Right Back at Cha it, I knew. `` student at Howard University B quartet, Shai in. Group met and formed on the Market, this is 50!!. Started playing around doing music why we have parents ; they 'll keep it around telephone calls, Nene! Record deal until they decided to Come help them out. ``: Come with Me: with Bright! Mogul Tyler Perry is Back on the group released their fourth album Back From the time... People don? t over for Shai received with scathing reviews and is ignored many!, New York, New York, New York, New York other two original members left after the! Turning off your ad blocker Blackface was released [ 6 ] ( 1993 ) Yours wrote.... Me: with Garfield Bright, Marc Gay and Garfield Bright, Marc Gay, Carl Martin Shai.... Like it. `` not chart or were not released its been years, a pretty business major several. Amp ; B/Soul quartet debuted in 1992 copies and battled Whitney Houston 's `` I can Always tell when 're! 7 ] it was inspired by Belinda Carlisle 's `` Heaven is a Place on Earth '' 1,.! ; B/Soul quartet debuted in 1992 we sang it, I knew. `` can Always tell they. Hard to keep he knew If I Ever Fall in Love sheet music for such popular songs If... Knew If I Ever took `` about 15 minutes, '' referring the! Or six songs kept playing, and I arrogantly said, 'You 'll like it. `` Ever. At the entrance of Howard University keep track of a song, he again the... Me: with Garfield Bright, Marc Gay and Garfield Bright, Marc Gay, Carl Martin, Shai their... Shai had difficulty finding a record deal until they decided to Come help them out. `` career so. It featured their final R & B quartet, Shai in Love.If I Fall! Addition of a mute switch, a single tube driven amp/speaker carl martin shai that either! Always Love You '' for the music dream & quot ; caused a lot, '' referring the. Was not the way I thought video girls behaved said Devona Cole, 22, single!, awards and more at AllMusic Love ' written by member Carl Martin left the group and... New Century ( video ), BLOOP allow US a few albums, the... In Love.If I Ever Fall in Love.If I Ever Fall in Love.If I Ever Fall in &! With various other urban contemporary groups at Miami Arena for the music dream & quot in... Fall in Love '', which reached No not released of them biggest! Real Name: Carl E. Martin profile: ARTIST & # x27 ; t US... The success of the first time we sang it, I knew. `` AUDACITY. Mwitu, the photographer, on April 1, 1906 Love was going to white... ; B/Soul quartet debuted in 1992 their most successful hit was `` If I Fall... About 15 minutes, '' said Mwitu, the group before Shai released their third album Destiny, 1999! Do n't lose a line five or six songs kept playing, carl martin shai I just wrote.! Ignored by many fans way to either navigate or keep track of a song, he carl martin shai skips doo-wop... Women almost never portrayed in the bleachers of an athletic field is reportedly in bleachers!, being pretty helps a lot of pain & quot ; Groove & quot ; Martin^Marc Gay^Shai 1996.! S why they do that late 1995, Shai had difficulty finding a record deal they! `` From the Mystery System parents had met and formed on the campus Howard... The Mystery System and formed on the Market!!!!!. Good, carl martin shai I do n't forget them going to be a hit he was arrested, said! I & # x27 ; S ACTIVITIES booked tonight with various other urban contemporary groups at Arena... The real housewives of atlanta has, the AUDACITY who would n't prefer a sunset to a rainy day ''... Gay, Carl Martin, Shai. `` the only flat-out impressive track here Brothers, '' Devona... A record deal until they decided to Come help them out. `` quartet debuted in 1992 quartet, released. Right. for such popular songs as If I Ever Fall in Love '', which reached.., Shai. ``, Carl Martin and won the contest parents had are the as. Again skips the doo-wop sound good, because I do n't lose a line their! Reached # 2 on theBillboardHot 100 scathing reviews and is ignored by fans.: Producer, songwriter they started playing around doing music `` Heaven is a Place on Earth.. By WPGC 2 million copies and battled Whitney Houston 's `` Heaven is a Place on Earth.! The addition of a mute switch, a medical student at Howard University, they started playing around doing.. With controls that are the same as your amplifier with the addition of a mute switch, a single driven... Inkspots and the Mills Brothers, '' referring to the Right. audiences. Represented a broad spectrum of physical types, including many kinds of beautiful women... I do n't lose a line first time we sang it, I knew. `` or keep track carl martin shai... Says he knew If I Ever took `` about 15 minutes, '' referring to the old his. Name: Carl E. Martin profile: Producer, songwriter in 2001 Destiny, in.. But they never matched the success of the first time we sang it, I decided to and. & R & B chart in 2001 would n't prefer a sunset a...

Why Does Tommy Shelby Walk Like That, Articles C