Since his career began in the early 1970s, he has played, in his words, "the full spectrum of characters from the grotesque to musicals. They have three children. A lovely actor, Kenneth Colley surprised me by asking why I wasn't playing the lead part in a Royal Shakespeare Company production instead of him. In 2018, he appeared as series regular Gildas in Britannia, Jez Butterworth's historical drama about the Roman conquest of Britain. "I was 15 and didn't know have a clue what I wanted to do with my life, when I saw a TV programme about a drama school, and I remember how much I'd loved acting at primary school - the only lesson I was any good at. var qs = Object.keys(params).reduce(function(a, k){ a.push(k + '=' + encodeURIComponent(params[k])); return a},[]).join(String.fromCharCode(38)); Armstrong described Thnardier as "a gruesome and comic character. There were quite a few tears followed by a nice little party. Good actors know they are nothing without a brilliant script. What to Watch is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. The very legendary actor, Alun Armstrong is an Englishman working in the entertainment industry since the 1970s. 25 facts about Les Mis", "Theatre: Einstein's Theory of Relationships", "Armstrong, Fleet et al. Alun Armstrong was born on July 17, 1946 (age 76) in England. Sue Ellen is an anthropomorphic cat who is depicted with a tan complexion, curly orange hair worn in "messy buns" bound by lime green scrunchies and wears a teal "T-shirt"-type dress with a . [9] He was the villainous Egyptian cult leader Baltus Hafez in The Mummy Returns (2001),[10] and he portrayed Saint Peter with a Geordie accent in Millions (2004). ALTHOUGH well-known for playing obsessive ex-detective Brian Lane for 10 years in hit BBC series New Tricks, Alun Armstrong's career has spanned a huge range of roles, across TV, films and theatre. I've known it happen to actors who just wake up one day and can't cope with learning the script - nightmare!". [66], Armstrong won the Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Musical in 1994 for his performance as Sweeney Todd in the 1993 London revival of the musical at the National Theatre. It is the first film in Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" franchise and is met with critical and blockbuster commercial success. In 2010, he co-starred with Billie Piper in the two-part drama A Passionate Woman as the husband of a woman who has an affair. He is also an accomplished stage actor who spent nine years with the Royal Shakespeare Company. [30], In the BBC drama series Our Friends in the North (1996), he played Austin Donohue, a character based on the politician T. Dan Smith. Yes, like a lot of the original London cast, I was asked to be in it, but I couldnt because it clashed with New Tricks. Aun Armstrong has accumulated a pretty good amount throughout his long term acting career. Sue Armstrong is Alun Armstrong's wife. Learn how your comment data is processed. The end of the shows current season will be marked by another departure, as ex-DI Brian Lane, played by co-star Alun Armstrong, is also exiting the show. Armstrong was born and raised in London, the son of Sue (ne Bairstow) and actor Alun Armstrong. He was also awarded the Laurence Olivier Theater Award in 1994 (1993 season) for Best Actor in a Musical for his performance in Sweeney Todd at the Royal National Theater. The Attack On Rue Plumet (Live) Alun Armstrong, Lea Salonga, Michael Ball, Judy Kuhn, Colm Wilkinson & The "Les Misrables" 10th Anniversary Ensemble. After a day of previewing TV, writing about TV and interviewing TV stars, Elaine likes nothing than to relax by watching TV. [40] In 2011, he co-starred with Richard Briers and Edna Dor in the Radio 4 drama A Shoebox of Snow. Father and son played older and younger versions of the same character in the 2010 BBC drama A Passionate Woman,[76] and they played Northumberland and his son Hotspur in the 2012 BBC adaptation of Henry IV. Music by Colin Sell. Discover Alun Armstrong's Biography, Age,. After playing this role since 2003, when New Tricks debuted, Armstrong quit after the ninth series. He received an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from the University of East Anglia[79] and an Honorary Doctorate of Arts from the University of Sunderland. Have you turned down roles as a result of your commitment to New Tricks? In the bottom sixth, The Taming of the Shrew, he played a role Petruchio. Your last ever New Tricks episode screen this week. We are here to kill your queries, so keep reading this article till the end. In 1999, he portrayed the 18th-century politician Henry Fox in the bbc series Aristocrats. [8], In the 2013 drama The Village, depicting life in a Derbyshire village in the early 20th century, he played Stephen Bairstow, a detective scarred by his experiences at the Front in World War I. 2023 Glossyfied.com | hello@glossyfied.com. I wish I had learned this 15 years ago., The writer added, I get on phenomenally well with the New Tricks cast. [6], Armstrong has appeared in a number of films, although usually in supporting roles. Most crime dramas go stale after a season or two, but the BBCs New Tricks has somehow managed to keep it fresh season after season for a decade. Catching Up With Agnes From Tanked: See What Shes Doing Now! [67], At the Donmar Warehouse, Armstrong appeared as Albert Einstein in Terry Johnson's Insignificance in 1995,[68] and he played Hamm in Samuel Beckett's Endgame in 1996. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, Required fields are marked *. He was born on 17 July 1946 in Annfield Plain, near Stanley, County Durham. He played the role of Austin Donohue in the BBC drama series Our Friends in the North. Alun Armstrong, Colm Wilkinson & Sue Jane Tanner. He portrayed George Oldfield in a TV film This Is Personal: The Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. Your departure also spells the end for your on-screen wife Esther. [53] In 1983, he played Ralph Trapdoor in The Roaring Girl starring Helen Mirren. I dont want to spoil how Brian leaves, but I can tell you he ends up in mortal danger! The father and son duo had played the younger and older version of the same character in . New Tricks has been an important part of my life and Ive found it very easy to play Sandra. "[33], Armstrong co-starred with Louise Brealey in the 2015 touring production of Constellations. Jeremy Irons played Henry IV, with Tom Hiddleston as Prince Hal and Alun Armstrong as Hotspur's father, the Earl of Northumberland. Piper joined Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant - the ninth and tenth Doctors - in the first two series of BBC's rebooted sci-fi family drama Doctor Who in 2005 and 2006. Armstrong appeared in all three series from 2006 to 2009. The character of Brian Lane is an obsessive and socially inept recovering alcoholic who has a great capacity for remembering details of old cases and colleagues. There were rumors about the producers highhandedness and interference with the shows production. In Millions (2004), he portrayed Saint Peter with a Geordie accent. [5], Armstrong portrayed Norman Heatley in the 2009 BBC Four film Breaking the Mould about the team who turned penicillin into a viable medicine. "The series has been popular in 25 countries worldwide, which is incredible, but sometimes I think Brian's bike's enjoyed more fame than me. "[23] In preparation for the role, Armstrong and other cast members met with soldiers who had served in Afghanistan. We all want to move to Copenhagen and get the chance to do great television, referring to the successful Danish TV dramas such as Borgen and The Killing. First broadcast on BBC Radio 4, 6th October-10th . [17] He also played Wackford Squeers in Nicholas Nickleby. [11], Armstrong played drug dealer-turned-kidnapper Ashley Cowgill in Sally Wainwright's 2014 crime drama Happy Valley, starring Sarah Lancashire. id: "beb5f82f-dce3-49e6-a836-cf24eb78a6f6", In 1992, he played the movie Patriot Games as a SO-13 officer. Also in 2004, he played the son of a murdered farmer in the Foyle's War episode "They Fought in the Fields.". She's always been calm, unflappable, a brilliant support to me and a fantastic parent to our boys. [23] He has appeared in two versions of Oliver Twist: the 1999 ITV mini-series as Agnes Fleming's father Captain Fleming and the 2005 Roman Polanski film as Magistrate Fang. "[58], Armstrong was one of the first to be cast, along with fellow Royal Shakespeare Company members Sue Jane Tanner and Roger Allam. He started out as an assistant stage manager at the Cambridge Arts Theatre, then went on to a Theatre in Education company affiliated with the Sheffield Repertory Theatre. What Happened to Martin on the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries. [15], Performing with the National Youth Theatre, Armstrong's roles included Gerry Evans in Dancing at Lughnasa in 1998[16] and Lieutenant Stedna in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? Alun Armstrongs exit from New Tricks seemed like the beginning of the end for the series. What were the turning points in your life? "I've been very fortunate to be able to follow a career that I love, and it just seems right to remember those who've been less fortunate and offer a bit of help.". With twenty years of experience as an entertainment journalist, Elaine writes for Whats on TV, TV Times, TV & Satellite Week and (opens in new tab)www.whattowatch.com (opens in new tab) covering a variety of programs from gardening and wildlife to documentaries and drama. Sue: Anak: Tom *Joe *Dan]] Alun Armstrong (lahir 17 Juli 1946) adalah seorang aktor karakter Inggris. The episode follows Brian Lane (Alun Armstrong) as he knows his days at UCOS are numbered. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2022 UnApix.com. Armstrong, Joe. Required fields are marked *. Dan Armstrong founded Kairos Ministries in Australia and organized the Vineyard Conferences here with John Wimber and his teams. The announcement followed comments by the cast in an interview with the Radio Times that criticised some of the series' writing,[37] and which drew an angry rebuttal from the show's writer-director Julian Simpson. I recognise that in the past I was a workaholic, and probably could have been a better father to my sons and a more well-rounded human being if I hadn't been so obsessed with my job. Alun Armstrong discusses his departure from BBC1's New Tricks (Tuesday)Your last ever New Tricks episode screen this week. "[60] He was surprised by the success of Les Misrables "because it is different to other musicals. He has appeared in numerous television series and films which were doing really good in the entertainment industry. [35], He appears in Nae Caranfil's film Closer to the Moon, also starring Vera Farmiga, Mark Strong and Harry Lloyd, which was filmed in Bucharest in the autumn of 2011 and was released in Romania in 2014. Please refresh the page and try again. Love Has Come of Age (from Highlighs from Jekyll & Hyde) Armstrong was one of the original cast members who made BBC's Channel 1 New Tricks such a hit for close to a decade.. He joined movies and tvshows named New Tricks 2003 - 2015 , The Mummy Returns 2001 , Van Helsing 2004 , Krull 1983 and Frontier Since 2016 . In 1995, he appeared in the movie Braveheart. He also starred in Eragon, starring Ed Speleers. Events. BA1 1UA. New Tricks became one of BBC Ones highest-ranking shows but began losing viewership toward the tenth year. With a lot of practice and hard work, in 1971, Armstrong made his screen debut in the film Get Carter. When youre continuously into the field of acting then its obvious that media will show some curiosity to know who is your wife? He played Wackford Squeers and Mr. Wagstaff in the eight-hour Royal Shakespeare Company stage adaptation of The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby that was filmed for television in 1982. He grew up in County Durham in North East England, and first became interested in acting through Shakespeare productions at his grammar school. "Being an actor isn't the be-all and end-all of life, and there are other fulfilling things that can be done as well. Explore Alun Armstrong net worth, birthday, height, age, bio, salary, 2023! [4], Armstrong took part in the National Youth Theatre summer school in 1964, but his background and northern accent made him feel out of place. d.getElementById("contentad428986").appendChild(s); Younger than the cast, Simpson lashed out on Twitter, saying: A New Tricks episode I wrote and directed airs on Monday. "I said I'd never dream of asking for such a big role, and he urged me to value myself and my talent more and be straight-up about asking for what I actually wanted. Waterman shared his thoughts, too, saying, People are not as stupid as writers think. Alun Armstrong's full name is Alan Armstrong and his nickname is Alun Armstrong. We hope you enjoy it! He is married to Sue Bairstow and has three sons. Armstrong didnt quite give a reason for his departure, leaving fans worried about the future of the popular police procedural series. "Yes Sue and I were given a send-off as hubby and wife! [45] He guest starred in the 2014 Christmas special of Downton Abbey,[46] and took the role of Clifford Bentley in ITV police drama Prime Suspect 1973. He was born in Annfield Plain on 1946-07-17. Alun Armstrong is playing a criminal, rather than a cop, in his latest role Credit: Rex Features Alun, born "Alan", is a 70-year-old British actor who grew up in County Durham, North East England. 5: On the possibles list for Roger Derebridge, Kelly and Lamson in Lifeforce (1985). Other television credits include guest spots in Midsomer Murders (2004), Blackpool (2004), Rose and Maloney (2005), another episode of The Bill (2005), The Inspector Lynley Mysteries (2006), Party Animals (2007), The Last Detective (2007) and The Whistleblowers (2007). Cookie Policy [3] In the lower sixth, he played Petruchio in The Taming of the Shrew, a role he later played with the Royal Shakespeare Company. and many more. I can tell you how much of it the actors wrote: not a f***ing comma.. Theres not been a day on set when we havent laughed. James Bolam Wife. Height: 5'11 . Get the latest updates, reviews and unmissable series to watch and more! [10] He reprised his role in the second series in 2014. They have three children. I felt a sense of guilt about that. He also appeared in the 25th anniversary concert, though Matt Lucas performed the role of Thnardier. 20. Alun Armstrong was born on July 17, 1946 in Annfield Plain, County Durham, England as Robert Alun Armstrong. [24] The play had a six-week run at the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs in the Royal Court Theatre from March to May 2010[25] followed by two weeks at the Drum Theatre in the Theatre Royal, Plymouth in May. [38], During the run of New Tricks, Armstrong continued to take on other projects. The couple shares three sons Joe Armstrong, Tom Armstrong, and Dan Armstrong. She said: Ill miss the people the most. Alun Armstrong is a British actor known for his role in the film 'Oliver Twist.' Check out this biography to know about his childhood, family life, achievements and fun facts about him. Alun Armstrong perfectly plays the role of Brian Lane, a meticulous detective and recovering alcoholic with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Armstrong starred in The Hollow Crown: Henry IV Parts I & II alongside Downton co-star Michelle Dockery. Alexander Armstrong has said he expects to have his stamina tested during a "demanding" challenge to sing in 24 concerts in 24 hours. The Bargain / Waltz of Treachery (Live) Colm Wilkinson, Alun . Love Island fans are confused after bombshell is 'sacked', The Blacklist season 10: release date, cast and everything we know about the crime drama, Wolf Pack: release date, trailer, cast and everything we know about the TV show, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always release date, cast and everything we know about the Power Rangers reunion. He also did two mini tv series in North East England. [46], Armstrong is a supporter of AFC Wimbledon, as is his character in New Tricks. Alun Armstrong, Colm Wilkinson, Sue Jane Tanner, Alun Armstrong, Colm Wilkinson & Sue Jane Tanner - Les Misrables (Original 1985 London Cast Recording) Overture / Work Song. [42] He was in the radio serial Ruthless by Tim Loane on Radio 4 in 2012. The Eyes Have It. All rights reserved. [31] Armstrong portrayed 18th century politician Henry Fox in the BBC serial Aristocrats (1999). I felt if I didnt do it now, Id be on New Tricks for ever.. He also performed in several Radio 4 dramas. Alun Armstrong Samuel West Donald Churchill Michael Elphick : Komponist : Barrington Pheloung : Oprindelsesland : Det Forenede Kongerige . He played Uncle Garrow in Eragon with Ed Speleers. Most crime dramas go stale after a season or two, but the BBC's New Tricks has somehow managed to keep it . [41], For three series from 2009 to 2011, he played William Garrow's mentor John Southouse in the BBC period legal drama Garrow's Law. As part of its Tuesday panel at the Television Critics . . Krull. Alun Armstrong depicted the character of Brian Lane, an old detective with a surprisingly good memory that earned him the nickname Memory Lane. Brians also a strong AFC Wimbledon supporter. Joe is also a performer. [29] Alfred Hickling of The Guardian remarked that "Joe Armstrong's Jean flips back and forth between brute arrogance and fawning servility with the casual manner of tossing a coin. Later, she is student in Mrs. Grimslid's fourth grade class. He has been married to Susan J Bairstow since 1977. Alun Armstrong Family Background & Career. I just dont appreciate actors speaking out of turn, and they know that., Veteran TV writer Maurice Gran came out in support of Simpson, saying that the New Tricks actors had succumbed to a common mental illness, saying, They are deluded that they write the shows script., He noted, As any writer will tell you, there are good actors and bad ones. If I go on holiday abroad, there always be at least one person who will come up to me and ask, 'Where's your bike, Brian?' I was given his bicycle as a present too and Im going to try and auction it for charity. Alun Armstrong is one of the wealthiest and most well-liked actors in movies. Thnardier and his wife, played by Susan Jane Tanner, are innkeepers whose shady practices are revealed in the song "Master of the House." The BBC Channel 1 show had many storylines, but it generally centered around three retired police officers called back to help solve cold cases. His son Joe Armstrong[43] played Northumberland's son Hotspur. James Bolam Age. March 2 - The Hunt for Red October is released. The producers came and we had cake and speeches. Actors Index: I was even accosted in Laos by someone from Peru who greeted me like an old friend because he'd seen the series, but couldn't understand why I wasn't riding the bike.". There is no way Armstrong would get away with just upping and leaving! He is an actor, known for Krull (1983), The Mummy Returns (2001) and Eragon (2006). T he comedian and television presenter is embarking on the . ", "Like Brian Lane, I genuinely enjoy cycling and I go to the gym and practise yoga. Alun Armstrong, Sue Jane Tanner & "Les Misrables Original London Cast" Ensemble. He is an actor, known for Krull (1983), The Mummy Returns (2001) and Sleepy Hollow (1999). Celebritys Net worth, Biography, Sports, Health, Technology, & Entertainment. Privacy George Oldfield)Richard Ridings (Det. Nowell, og gr nu sammen med Susan, som han har et kompliceret forhold til, isr p grund af indblanding fra hendes mor, Lady D. Hans sn, Steve, lider af en mental sammenbrud, og Stanley tager ham med . He grew up in County Durham in North East England, and first became interested in acting through Shakespeare productions at his grammar school. Cast. His notable television roles include Allan A Dale in three series of Robin Hood, Hotspur in Henry IV, Part I, Ashley Cowgill in Happy Valley and Bairstow in The Village. Sue Armstrong Family Background & Career. Alun Armstrong (Asst. If you are wondering who is . Sue Bairstow: Children: 3, including Joe: Alan Armstrong, known professionally as Alun Armstrong, is an English actor. Armstrong was born and raised in London, the son of Sue (ne Bairstow) and actor Alun Armstrong.He has an older brother, Tom, and a younger brother, Dan, who was in the band Clock Opera. [34], In 2006, Armstrong was in two short films: A Ticket Too Far and Service. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. His son Joe Armstrong is also an actor. While both actors have been with the series from the very beginning, this is by far not the end for New Tricks. The father and son duo had played the younger and older version of the same character in 2010 BBC drama A Passionate Woman. Tom, Joe, and Dan are the names of the couple's three children. Allan later becomes allied with the sympathetic villain Guy of Gisborne but has a change of heart and rejoins his friends. Joe Armstrong, Tom Armstrong, and Dan Armstrong are his three sons. The departure of James Bolllam, a dogged sleuth, followed by Alun Armstrong and Amanda Freeman, certainly cast a dark cloud over the show, and it was only a matter of time before New Tricks was canceled. Upon quitting the famous British mystery television series, Alun stated, Although I am very sad to leave, I am also looking forward with excitement to the new challenges the future will bring.. But the future is definitely bright for Alun Armstrong! The play also won for Best Musical Revival and his co-star Julia McKenzie won Best Actress in a Musical. Most fans will admit that they did not see Aluns exit coming it was a total shock and probably a deal-breaker for the show. I will miss the gang and Brian a lot, but it helps to know Im leaving the show on a high., I took all his AFC Wimbledon props! . [29] Armstrong has been a fan of Dickens since reading David Copperfield aloud in school. "[71], Armstrong took the lead role at short notice in Shelagh Stephenson's play Mappa Mundi in 2002, replacing Ian Holm who withdrew due to illness. Talking about Alun Armstrongs age, Alun is 72 years old and he will be 23 on coming July. Did you see any of yourself in Brian Lane? children: Dan Armstrong, Joe Armstrong, Tom Armstrong. Father and son played older and younger versions of the same character in the 2010 BBC drama A Passionate Woman. Born on 17 July 1946 in United Kingdom, Alun Armstrong started his career as Actor . Joe Armstrong (born 7 October 1978) is an English actor. [18] He appeared in How Love Is Spelt by Chloe Moss at the Bush Theatre in 2004[19] and in A Night at the Dogs by Matt Charman at the Soho Theatre in 2005. In the 2004 BBC film Passer By, he had a supporting role as one of two men accused of assaulting a woman on a train. The current season is the last that Redman will appear in. Well, Alun is a married man. Master of the House (Les Misrables) - (Alun Armstrong) (1995)* * * More at IMDbPro. }; Alun Armstrong is a British actor who is known for playing Cardinal Jinette from the Van Helsing franchise, Baltus Hafez from The Mummy Returns, Uncle Garrow from Eragon, the High Constable from Sleepy Hollow and Maxwell Randall from Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire. Armstrong described the role as one of his most challenging because of the need to make his character's sudden changes in mood believable. Joe is also an actor. [72] In 2006, he returned to the stage to star in Trevor Nunn's production of The Royal Hunt of the Sun at the National Theatre. Alun Armstrong is a famous Movie Actor, who was born on July 17, 1946 in United Kingdom. In the 2010 BBC drama "A Passionate Woman," both the father and son played younger and older . [61], Armstrong received nominations in two categories for the 1985 Olivier Award: Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Musical for Les Misrables and Actor of the Year for The Crucible and The Winter's Tale. . Alun Armstrong is a British actor who is known for playing Cardinal Jinette from the Van Helsing franchise, Baltus Hafez from The Mummy Returns, Uncle Garrow from Eragon, the High Constable from Sleepy Hollow and Maxwell Randall from Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire. Join Cast of BBC PROMS", "Alun Armstrong, Kenneth Cranham and Greg Hicks to star in plays at Ustinov Studio", "Honorary Degrees Announced at University of East Anglia", "Stratford Plunges Into Tales Of Revenge", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Alun_Armstrong&oldid=1132375013, Dramatised health and safety documentary on lead poisoning, Series 1, episode 6: "The Iron Horse: Part 2", Series 3, episode 6: "It's Always a Gamble", Series 2, episode 12: "Conduct Unbecoming", Series 1, episode 12: "Dirtier by the Dozen", Series 3, episode 5: "A Test of Character", Series 3, episode 8: "Shoulder to Shoulder", Series 1, episode 8: "Officers of the Law", Series 1, episode 1: "Guilt on the Gingerbread", Informational programme with comedy sketches, Season 6, episodes 2426: "England Show," Parts I, II and III, This page was last edited on 8 January 2023, at 15:45. The show must go on after all and this particular show will go on with the new additions of Only Fools And Horses star Nicholas Lyndhurst, and ex-EastEnder Tamzin Outhwaite as the new boss of the team, DCI Sacha Millard. + qs; Alun Armstrong is married to Sue Armstrong. Brian and I sort of morphed into one another as the writers got to know me and incorporated my traits into him.".

Wilson Chandler Sherise Cromwell, Cherry Blossom In Pennsylvania, Articles A