Drive South on I-15 for 178.4 miles until exit 95 toward US-89/Panguitch/Kanab, 2. Follow it north about 12.89 miles to a spur road that goes east. THROUGH GAMES OF WEDNESDAY, JAN. 18, 2023. Some of the roads might require a higher clearance vehicle once you leave the highway, but I would recommend just setting up camp and hiking around. Find directions to Agate, browse local businesses, landmarks, get current traffic estimates, road conditions, and more. Have fun collecting! Utah is home to a variety of gems and minerals that rivals any other state in the U.S. The beauty of the area surrounding this location really is extraordinary. 5. Salt Lake City, Utah 84116, Mailing Address: Obsidian can be found all around that area. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; This Agate Hill is truly a hill made up almost entirely of agatejust about every single rock you pick up will be some sort of agate. Azurite, Carnallite, Gold, Gypsum, Halite, Limonite, Malachite, Pyrolusite, Sylvite, etc. With great desolation comes great hidden riches. Latitude/Longitude: 38.4843, -109.1808. Upon rooting through the pile of dirt around the hole, much to our surprise, we found a rather large specimen. Caineville 7.5-minute topographic map. This usually makes for a great adventure and you may want to bring a kite or a pinwheel or something for the kids. Alunite, Jarosite, Limonite, Pyrite, Selenite, Azurite, Chalcopyrite, Galena, Malachite, Sphalerite. As I live in Texas currently, my parents will be keeping an eye on this cache. 83). Ive met a couple of people from that club and they were good people and it sounded like a great club to join for anyone who is interested. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I hope to return to this location in the future, but Im hesitant with the knowledge that it is still most likely under claim. The southern region of the state is home to expansive sandstone plateaus that turn up nice specimens of quartz-family minerals such as agate, jasper, petrified wood, and septarian nodules. Thanks again for your comment! Thank you for the information! The mining districts of the Wasatch mountains are perhaps the best places to go rockhounding in the Salt Lake area. Barite, Calcite, Chlorite, Epidote, Galena, Garnet, Magnetite, Sphalerite, Spinal, Tetrahedrite, Cerussite, Malachite, Pyrite, Quartz, Azurite, etc. Galena, Gold, Pyrite, Silver, Sphalerite, Quartz crystals. Agate Hill near Bryce Canyon - Rockhounding Utah The second location we decided to visit this weekend was on the other side of Highway 143 near the town of Panguitch ("the Gateway to Bryce Canyon National Park"). Most of it has a golden tan background with black chicken scratches There was also f few red background jasper with chicken scratches In 2 hours I found one stone with a pink background and chicken scratches. After the left at about .34 mi the right turn is marked by a couple of posts. My parents wanted to get me a birthday present that was customized to me. Coffinite, Doloresite, Uraninite, Azurite, Chalcocite, Chalcopyrite, Cuprite, Malachite, Pyrite, Vanadium, Carnotite, Cerussite, Galena, Fluorite, etc. Now we are trying to find how to polish them and make them shining. I am aware of previous and/or existing claims in this area. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; The old mines in the area will contain the largest variety of minerals (and likely more exotic finds) but there are many more accessible locations where you can find nice specimens of minerals like garnet, magnetite, onyx, agate, chalcedony, and petrified wood. These areas are known to contain several mineral species that you arent likely to find in such abundance anywhere else in the state such as halite, gypsum, and sylvite. From the Weiss Road, drive north along the east side of the mountain for about 2.5 miles and look for the coves. All 50 States Answered, amazing app that highlights roads that provide access to public lands, Utah Geological Survey: Rock & Mineral Collecting Sites. I really hope it wont be closed for good. The first day we went, we hiked around. The left fork at .68 mi is really just staying on ESR. Azurite, Malachite, Carnotite, Coffinite, Pyrite, Uraninite, etc. Follow the road up the mountain to get to Sinbad and more trilobite hunting areas. Most pieces are black but some reddish-brown and snowflake obsidian can be found. Several of the roads have been closed likely when they chained the cedar trees. The exciting thing to find while out looking for jasper are thin walled geodes with crystals of celestite, calcite and quartz . In Connecticut, I would recommend starting with the County Assessors office. All the jasper I found was nice, with good coloring. We found most of ours along the sides of the revine. So good to hear that you and the kids came out with some great stuff! These are mostly comprised of old mining prospects, washes, streams, and historically known rock and mineral collecting sites. You can also read through my free rock identification guide and mineral identification guide which are filled with useful information and tools. But here goes nothing. The remaining four places are located just above Millard County line in Juab County. PO BOX 146100 World-famous Fossil Mountain holds perhaps the most diverse accumulation of fossils in one area in the world. Agate Hilloffers excellent agate in many colors. Box 122 Azurite, Malachite, Andalusite, Jasper, Malachite, Pyrite, etc. When does it snow down there? Im so glad it was a successful trip for you and your boys! In your directions on this page, you state: Directions to Brian Head Agate. They are uprooting all the juniper trees so the water table is higher. The first location is just north of a dirt road you enter heading West, .7 mile from the exit on route 24. Agate Map The City of Agate is located in Grand County in the State of Utah. Wonder if these agates were formed differently than normal (i.e. The agate and chert at this location are white, gray, green, purple, orange, and red. Drive 2.13 miles on this main dirt road. Almost all of the mine shafts in this particular area have been covered, but I would still keep a close eye on the kiddos. Drive on Redwood Road for one mile to Main Street/Highway 73 and take a left (West) at that light, 5. I have written entire articles which cover the rockhounding laws and regulations for nearly every type of public land you can think of. If you search in the right place you may even be able to find some plume agate and snowflake obsidian. The top 10 rockhounding sites in Utah: Utah is home to a variety of gems and minerals that rivals any other state in the U.S. It leads to a great find of Chicken Scratch Jasper. Follow that road west as if you were going to Topaz Mountain. I love this area! Corvusite, Uraninite, Autunite, Azurite, Malachite, Chalcocite, etc. These hard-shelled prehistoric animals lived on the sea floors and reefs for millions of years. It is commonly called Bacon or Candy Strip Opal, but is also referred to as Hyalite Opal. Petrified wood is more difficult to find, probably because the larger specimens have already been collected. When I was little my mom and dad and I would go out to rock hound all the times but being young I dont remember alot of it so even though I did it alot when I was young and knew what I was looking for then today I feel like Im starting all over lol many years went by that we stopped so still learning spots and rocks. Azurite, Cerussite, Chalcopyrite, Chlorite, Chrysocolla, Galena, Gold, Gypsum, Jarosite, Malachite, Opal, Pyrite, Siderite, Sphalerite, etc. Although you can dig for geodes outside of the claim, you will have far better luck getting permission from the claim-owners to collect on the actual claim. Anyone been here lately? Also, thank you for the clarifications on the directions. For additional reading, Id highly recommend these books you can find on Amazon: Please remember that rock collecting locations are constantly changing. What sets the Salt Lake area apart is the shores of the Great Salt Lake and, of course, the Salt Flats. ISBN: 1-56512-452-9. If youre planning on heading to the field, make sure you have all the gear youll need! Topaz, Utahs state gem, is a semiprecious gemstone that occurs as very hard, transparent crystals in a variety of colors. Join now to view geocache location details. Find then along a wash about 2 miles south of the U-Dig fossil site. 1594 North Temple I dont want to lead any of you astray! found tons of agate and volcanic rock here. 1.8K views 2 months ago 49th. Let me know if you are ever in SoCal in the fall or winter and want to go rockhounding out here in the Mojave. Fillmore: Follow I-15 south to Exit 146 south to Kanosh. Turn left (East) onto East Center Street (turns slightly right and becomes Highway 143) for 14.9 miles until Brian Head Peak Road, 4. The Utah Geological Survey (UGS) is a division of the Utah Department of Natural Resources. It is just Northwest of the marker I placed on the map. One, 1 gal Bucket not to Exceed 10 lbs is only $ 40.00 One, 3 gal Bucket not to Exceed 30 lbs is only $ 80.00 One, 5 gal Bucket not to Exceed 50 lbs is only $100.00 Pricing Discounts for Large Groups and Clubs! club in Salt Lake City. Turn left (west) on to Fountain Blvd (U.S. 24). I thought Woohoo, an undiscovered petrified forest!. The further away from the roads you get, the better the stuff you find. I later learned that the property is actually under private claim. This bundle of information includes a book, videos, and online tools. Something about those black patterns on the yellow background just looks really cool. The casual rock hound or collector may take small amounts of fossils, gemstones and rocks fromunrestricted federal lands in Utah without obtaining a special permit if for personal, non-commercial purposes. You will cross railroad tracks and eventually run into Highway 36 running North to South, 8. Funny story! Turn Right (West) on W 100 North for 33.2 miles until you hit Highway 6, 4. 4. 191 & Hwy 128, drive east 29 miles along the Colorado River. Obsidian can be found west of Black Rock. Follow the dirt road for 1.4 miles to its end. Just spent 2 great collection days here at lovely agate hill, & what a view too. Follow that road 17 miles to the Denderite site. Agates galore, as promised! On the way back we met a couple of hikers who informed us that we had taken a wrong turn and ended up the wrong canyon. Drive 21.5 miles and turn left (North) onto US-189 N/Us-40 W/South Main Street in Heber, 4. Starting in Delta, follow US 6 north about 11 miles to the Brush Wellman Road. Beryl, Fluorite, Scheelite, Azurite, Gold, Malachite, Galena, Pyrolusite, Beryl, Sphalerite, etc. In the town of Panguitch, turn right (South) onto US-89 for 10.1 miles until you get to a dirt road on the left hand side called Casto Canyon Road, 4. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) public lands. Ive actually also heard of some really nice pieces actually coming from inside the mines around the area. Cross the freeway to the east and turn south on the first frontage road. Currently Rockhounding 33.3K subscribers Join Subscribe 8.3K Share Save 256K views 1 year ago Let's talk about Agates and Jasper some. Hi Misti! I gladly complied. Bornite, Carnotite, Chalcocite, Chalcopyrite, Pyrite, Uraninite, etc. Directions to Agate Hill near Bryce Canyon: From the intersection of 800 North and I-15 in Orem, Utah 1. Thanks for posting. Bryce Canyon is my favorite National Park in Utah and, although the views from this area are mesmerizing in and of themselves, I would highly recommend a quick trip into the park itself. Left a message but havent heard anything back yet. Drive South on I-15 for 26.7 miles to Santaquin exit 244 2. Apatite, Biotite, Barite, Cerussite, Limonite, Rhodochrosite, Galena, Magnetite, Hornblende, Prehnite, Pyrite, Quartz, Sphene, Scheelite, Silver, Stilbite, Zircon, etc. I'm Mike Rhea, and I'm a professional Geologist with a passion for rocks, minerals, and everything related to Geology. Im not an expert, and maybe i need to visit a rock shop for a lesson.but i think i was picking up jasper or chert, not agate. Garnet (pyrope, Arizona Rubies), Chlorite, Corundum, Rutile, Spinel. Good to hear you managed to grab some big ones as well. Hi Yang! Near this intersection Apache Tears can be found scattered on the surface of the ground. Azurite, Barite, Chalcopyrite, Goethite, Limonite, Magnetite, Malachite, Pyrite, Quartz, Selenite, Siderite, Stilbite, Tourmaline, Wollastonite, etc. Your email address will not be published. It is definitely NOT what you would picture Southern Utah to look like, but Id say well worth the trip even just for the views. I can confirm this. Depending on the cottage spare bedrooms have either twin or full beds. Take the Casto Canyon road and follow your gps from there. We considered state hill on a trip last year, but we missed it. When I zoomed in it looked like there were buried logs all over the area. I was wondering if the jasper there had a specific name so Im glad you shared that. We were able to drive right up only had to move one tree branch out of the way. Youll now begin your hike into Rileys canyon. One of my friends did go out there recently and he said a couple of guys had their trucks blocking the road and told him he wasnt allowed back in there. But i had more fun collecting down lower in the washes. The agate and chert at this location are white, gray, green, purple, orange, and red. So the BLM sends out crews to cut the junipers. Most state lands are administered by the Schools and Institutional Trust Lands Administration. After seeing your picture, I really wish we had gone. Be glad to guide you. Quartz crystals and other rocks and minerals are embedded in the tuff. Copyright 2022 Rockhound Resource | Birch on Trellis Framework by Mediavine, Rocks, Gems, and Minerals of the Rocky Mountains, Birch Creek, area (also Western Grouse and Southern Conley), Pilot Range, mines in Lucin mining district, Promontory Point, area washes, draws, and surfaces, Bear River Range, area prospects and mines, Sams Canyon, many area mines and prospects, Soldier Summit, deposits in surrounding area, Park City mining district, many mines and dumps, Yellow Canary Uranium Deposit (Red Creek), Castle Dale, large area E to Green River in washes and draws, Copper Globe and other mines in San Rafael district, Lucky Strike and other mines in San Rafael district, Woodside, 4.5 mi. Here, you can find an interesting variety of pyrope garnet that is locally known as Arizona ruby. I did see some no trespassing signs off Elberta Slant Road. Follow the east dirt road until you see a knoll outcropping hill north of the road. A 360 degree view of my camp near Green River, Utah. . The route i followed to the map pin was definitely 44 only. Address: Moab Field Office 82 East Dogwood Moab, UT 84532. Drive South on I-15 for 194 miles until exit 78 toward UT-143/Parowan/Paragonah, 2. wasnt sure if the picture to post was accurate or if the hill is just behind whoever took the picture as thats where i found my rocks. Thanks and be careful out there peace and love to all! Hinckley UT, 84635 1. Ankerite, Carnotite, Dolomite, Galena, Pyrite, Tetrahedrite, Uraninite, etc. 435-864-8823 Im guessing it is either that big deal some people have been talking about with Rio Tinto coming in and drilling for copper and gold or maybe it is still the Chief Consolidated Mining Company that was there before. One of the most common questions rockhounds have is whether or not they are allowed to collect at a certain location. Struck out at Jerico Black Agate so i stopped here on the way home. Turn right (North) for .68 miles to a fork in the road where you will hang left for another .32 miles to another fork 4. From here the trail turns sketchy and I would recommend a high clearance vehicle to navigate the roads through the beds. Azurite, Chalcocite, Gypsum, Malachite, Pyrite, Agate, Agatized dinosaur bone, Petrified wood, Agate, Anhydrite, Carnotite, Chalcedony, Jasper, Gypsum, Uraninite, Agatized wood, Amethyst, Carnotite, Petrified wood, Agate, Chalcedony, Chert, Petrified dinosaur bones, Jasper. You can order the new CD by Alice Gerrard, Gail Gillespie, and Sharon Sandomirsky: "The Road to Agate Hill." Alice is the composer of the song, "Agate Hill" that inspired Lee while she was writing her new novel, "On Agate Hill." November 19, 2014 3264 1840 Brian Head Agate. We didnt run into too many other people around the area (Probably because of the season), but I did notice that many of the trees on and around the hill had been cut down with all of the limbs cut off and left there. I know we pulled out a couple that were a deep yellow, but I know the variety of colors here is quite extensive. Turn right (West) on the dirt road there (NOT the one into the Geneva gravel pit) 6. Keg Mountain and Desert Mountain are composed chiefly of extrusive and intrusive igneous rocks of Tertiary age. Hill City Kansas Greetings~Boat ers On Lake~Night Moon Shines On Water~1940 Linen. Glad You Asked: What should you do if you find a fossil? Drive Hwy 257 south from Deseret for about 43 miles, until you come to a sign identifying a road that heads east. The jasper is typically red due to iron content. This site contains affiliate links to products. Horn Silver Mine), Newton District, area mines (Rob Roy Mine), Henry Mountains, area mines and prospects, Escalante, area washes, draws, and outcrops, Cedar City, E along hwy in washes and draws, Rockhounding on Public Land: Laws and Regulations, Can You Collect Rocks in State Parks? Galena, Pyrite, Quartz, Sphalerite, Cerussite, Silver, Hematite, Limonite, Pyrolusite, Pyrite, Barite, Jasper, etc. The crystals formed within cavities of the Topaz Mountain Rhyolite, a volcanic rock which erupted approximately six to seven million years ago (Tertiary Period) from volcanic vents along faults in the area. GPS coordinates to where we parked in the agate field are: 38.660416, -111.303527Affiliate links to the equipment I use. Aragonite, Bloedite, Gypsum, Halite, Glauberite, Thenardite, Apatite, Allumite, Biotite, Hornblende, Magnetite, Microcline, Feldspar, Pyrite, Quartz, Sphene, Sericite, Sheelite, Zircon. Delta, Utah 84624 The sunstones are easy to find on sunny days. We spent the rest of the day searching the area they suggested we try, but were, for the most part, unsuccessful (not to mention extremely tired). Aragonite, Bloedite, Glauberite, Halite, Thenardite, etc. The mountains, washes, and draws in the area are known to contain many interesting mineral species including beryl, calcite, hematite, garnet, limonite, and azurite. Directions to Agate Hill near Bryce Canyon: From the intersection of 800 North and I-15 in Orem, Utah, 1. Depending on the cottage spare bedrooms have either twin or full beds. I read some blogs about the rockhounding activity in Eureka, and it seemed that this place happens to have people coming for target shooting. Beryl, Calcite, Bixbyite, Carnelian, Carnotite, Chalcedony, Fluorite, Garnet, Hematite, Hyalite, Quartz, Specularite, Topaz, etc. A single grave of 19 year old Matt Evans still remains and is located near the 4 way intersection in Joy. In an area with many junipers they use the available ground water before other vegetation can access it. It is, simply put, the most comprehensive and easy-to-understand rock identification system youll find anywhere. Augite, Azurite, Cerussite, Fluorite, Galena, Malachite. The majority of these locations are my interpretation of Robert Bestes A Location Guide for Rock Hounds in the United States. For general questions, booking multiple cottages click here. Of course, you dont have to be limited to just agate in this area if you dont want to. Analcite, Anhydrite, Crocidolite, Fluorapatite, Illite, Pyrite, Bassanite, Dawnsite, Riebeckite, Shortite, etc. "A guide to the state's best rockhounding sites!" This book is a 6" x 9" paperback with 205 pages of descriptions, maps, and photos. Turn right (West) on East Main Street for 16.6 miles to Elberta Slant Road 3. I think last weeks rain must have stirred things up because so many specimens were laying in plain site- perfect for my kids. Take that left (West) toward the town of Faust for 13.6 miles, 7. Ive found some nice botryoidal, mossy, and plume agate, but one of my favorites is the yellow dendritic agate. It is layered and the colors can range quite a bit. I missed the turnoff from hwy 89, but at intersection of 89 and 12, went west on hwy 12 a little bit and saw a sign for Casto Canyon Road. Phone: (435) 259-2100. Disappointed about that aspect. The goal was to fill up some buckets with agate to stare at and play around with while we remain cooped up all winter. Box 1113 Amethyst, Tourmaline, Tremolite, Wollastonite, Anglesite, Aragonite, Cerussite, Chalcopyrite, Galena, Pyrite, Sphalerite, etc. Take ramp on left onto US-189 N/E Provo Canyon Road, 3. The sunstone here is a transparent, yellowish labradorite (a plagioclase feldspar mineral) found as crystals in volcanic rocks and on the flats surrounding the knoll. In the town of Panguitch, turn right (South) onto US-89 for 10.1 miles until you get to a dirt road on the left hand side called Casto Canyon Road, 4. Little flakes, larger softball size, and some big rocks poking out of the dirt my guess 2-3ft diameter. To get started, you can check out my recommended gear page which contains my full reviews for every Geologists favorite rock hammer and the best hiking backpack Ive ever owned. There is a small creek near the top of the resort running off of Brian Head summit that contains a fair amount of nice agate. Unfortunately for rockhounds, the law in most states prohibits them from publishing their names or contact information online. Also I didnt see any no trespassing signs. A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M ------------------------- N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z, (letter above equals below, and vice versa), Hidden The locations and information contained in this article are primarily derived from academic papers, online resources, and other outside sources. Turn left over the railroad track, then follow the road about one-quarter mile onto the knoll. FYI, their are no trespassing signs all along the road. Visit Garden of the Gods, take a driveor tour to Pike's Peak, go zip lining or take a cave tour. Hi Ryan! Hey Jess! The petrified wood is tan and found in small pieces. Agate, chert, and jasper are varieties of microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline quartz (quartz having crystals that are too small to be detected with a hand lens) that have either a waxy or a dull luster. This location is right next door to a geothermal plant and, from what I understand, the underground geothermal activity is actually what led to the formation of this unique type of opal. My two elementary aged kids and I had a great time here today. If you check the parcel map on this web site it shows that everything is BLM land and the no trespassing signs are bogus. Or, take US 6&50 west of Delta to SR 257 and turn south. Turn south on U.S. Highway 6 and drive for approximately five miles. I should mention that even before finding the actual human digs that we did come across a large hole dug by an animal of some kind. Drive South on I-15 for 178.4 miles until exit 95 toward US-89/Panguitch/Kanab 2. For those who have been North of Milford, you will already know that the area is extremely windy (Youll pass hundreds of windmills on the way down from Delta). Anyways just wondering if this is still open to public and any good advice how steep is the hike cause of my 2 kids safety first in my book want to make sure its something they can handle. Directions: From the junction of Hwy. There are a lot of trees so you can find plenty of shade which is nice, Has any one been to this location recently Im wanting to go with my husband and 2 kids my 2 yr old son lives rocks and Im slowly teaching/learning about rock my self. Drive South on I-15 for 178.4 miles until exit 95 toward US-89/Panguitch/Kanab, 2. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Continue another 6.0 miles to destination on left (there is a parking area at the base of the canyon), 7. The ESR green road sign is set back off the road but there to confirm your decision once you have committed to the road. Amethyst, Azurite, Bornite, Carnotite, Chalcocite, Chrysocolla, Limonite, Malachite, Molybdenite, etc. So come and enjoy some quality time with your friends and family collecting these exquisite Opals! Thanks. Hi The Dude. Our cottages are on our one acre garden property. The entire Dugway Range is a rockhounding hot spot, known not only for its geodes but fantastic specimens of many minerals including fluorite, garnet, topaz, and beryl. Ill change that pronto! Lots of reds, yellows, blacks, and whites, and then even some purples and blues. Actinolite, Barite, Bismuth, Calcite, Chalcopyrite, Galena, Garnet, Magnetite, Pyrolusite, Rutile, Tetrahedrite, etc. We ended up going to several of the mine dumps in the mountains just East of town (really nice stuff!) From precious gems to ancient fossils, much can be found in our West Desert country. We never saw any no trespassing signs. Im sure there are multiple agate hills throughout the world, but the two I know of in Utah are one located in the Drum Mountains South of Topaz Mountain and another one located Southeast of Panguitch near the West wall of Bryce Canyon National Park.

Super Rugby Coach Salary Nz, Lds Church Headquarters Phone Directory, Articles A